Royal Reporter writer, Christina Vaughan, awarded Michaeleen Saint-Laurent Memorial Scholarship

Photo taken from @rosaryroyals on Instagram

Christina smiles for the camera after being chosen as a recipient for the Michaeleen Saint-Laurent Memorial Scholarship.

Daniela Arias, Editor-in-Chief

This past Tuesday, March 14, two outstanding freshmen were recognized as recipients of the Michaeleen Saint-Laurent Memorial Scholarship. Each year two freshmen who exemplify the same “spirit of generosity, devotion to her faith, and epic kindness” as the late religion department head, Michaeleen Saint-Laurent, are chosen as recipients of the memorial scholarship.

This year’s recipients included Isabella Ramirez ’26 and Christina Vaughan ’26. One of the two recipients, Christina, happens to not only be a model Royal but also a devoted and talented staff writer for the Royal Reporter.

In honor of Christina’s achievement, I took the time to interview her regarding what it means to be awarded the scholarship and how she strives to embody the qualities of the late Mrs. Saint-Laurent.

Q: How did you feel after finding out you were picked as a recipient? 

A: To be honest, I was kind of shocked in the best way possible of course. I felt an overwhelming sense of pride when I heard my words being read from the stand. 

Q: How do you plan to live out Mrs. Saint-Laurent’s legacy while at Rosary? 

A: I plan to live out Mrs. Saint-Laurent’s legacy by continuing to grow in and be an example of faith, by showing kindness, by continuing to work hard, and by doing my best to help others and lead by example.

A young Christina (aka the “chicken whisperer”) surrounded by her pet chickens. (Photo Provided by Christina Vaughan ’26)

Q: What activities are you involved in inside and outside of Rosary? 

A: Inside of Rosary, I enjoy participating in soccer, triathlon, CSF, and of course, the Royal Reporter. Outside of Rosary, I am involved in club soccer, and I do a lot of volunteering. I also enjoy my two jobs: babysitting and youth soccer refereeing. 

Q: What’s a fun fact you would want the Rosary community to know about you?

A: I have two dogs, two finches, two geckos, and six chickens. I’ve raised my chickens since they were two days old, and my parents call me the “chicken whisperer” because the chickens let me pick them up while they run in terror when anyone else gets near them.

Ms. Barclay ’94, the Royal Reporter adviser, spoke to Christina’s contribution to the school newspaper: “Christina smells and often makes no sense, but I still require the other students to be nice to her. Just kidding. Christina is an actual superstar. She goes toe to toe with the overwhelming amount of seniors in the class with no problem. Smart, funny, and quick-witted, she fits in perfectly. Christina impresses everyone.” 

Through working alongside Christina in journalism, I have had the opportunity to see her dedication to her writing/school work, her kindness, and her endless creativity firsthand, and I wholeheartedly believe that there is no other person that can better fulfill Mrs. Saint-Laurent’s legacy.