Getting to Know Mrs. Yoon

Photo Credit: Daniela Arias '23

Mrs. Yoon is all smiles in the LEC.

Daniela Arias, Editor-in-Chief

With the retirement of beloved LEC librarian, Mrs. Roberts, an equally as beloved person has stepped in to partially fill her position—Mrs. Yoon ‘05.

Since being here, Mrs. Yoon has never failed to greet students entering the LEC with a smile and an abundance of kindness. In recognition of the endless kindness Mrs. Yoon has shown every student, I took the opportunity to interview her and learn more about her life inside and outside of Rosary.

Q: What exactly do you do while working in the LEC? 

A: Working in the LEC has given me the opportunity to do a lot of different jobs. I supervise and help students as they come in to work quietly or get their work printed. I get to help teachers with the scheduling and proctoring students’ make-up tests. In my “downtime,” I decorate, create schedules, slide shows, spreadsheets, and answer emails. I also serve as the librarian, a job I have a passion for.

Mrs. Yoon and Dr. Yoon snap a sweet picture. (Photo Credit: Mrs. Yoon ’05)

Q: How is it working alongside your husband, Dr. Yoon, at school? 

A: Working with Dr. Yoon not only helps with carpooling but also makes my day brighter. He brings a smile to my face whenever I get to see him, and he makes me a better employee. I love being able to have lunch with him (even if I’m eating while he answers emails) or calling on him for my many school-related questions. Because of his long tenure at Rosary, I am able to tap into his knowledge and experience.

Q: Where were you born/raised?

A: I was born and raised right here in Orange County at St. Jude’s hospital. I grew up on a farm in Placentia until the age of eight. My family of seven kids and two parents had grown out of our small three-bed one-bathroom house, so we moved to Yorba Linda. With the extra space, we had more room to add two more kids to our family.

Q: What is your favorite book or movie? 

A: It’s hard for me to pick a favorite book or movie since I like so many. I do however love children’s books! I can’t help buying used children’s books from libraries or garage sales or ordering 10+ Scholastic books to support my kids’ classrooms. Today’s favorites that pop into my mind are “Frog and Toad” stories, Shel Silverstein poems/stories, and “The Sunflower Sword.”

Q: Outside of Rosary, what hobbies do you enjoy doing? 

A: I love coming up with crafts and games for my kids to do at home. Whether it is making a nativity scene out of toilet paper rolls or an obstacle course out of every pillow in the house. Encouraging my children’s creativity and hearing their laughs brings me so much joy! And, if Dr. Yoon joins in too, it increases the enjoyment 10-fold!

Mrs. Yoon and Dr. Yoon snap a picture with their family. (Photo Provided by Mrs. Yoon ’05)

Q: What has been your favorite part about being back at Rosary? 

A: My favorite part about being at Rosary…see my answer to number two. LOL, I’m just kidding! I love giving back to a school and community that gave me so much. The care and support the faculty and staff show the students is something I want to be a part of. One of my favorite parts of my job is seeing more students coming through the LEC doors every day. I love being the one to greet them with a warm smile and a cheerful “hello.”

Next time you visit the LEC and see Mrs. Yoon, make sure to greet her with as much warmth as she endlessly greets us with!