A mock trial minute

The whole mock trial team! (Photo provided by Cadiz Salazar ’23)

Cadiz Salazar, Supervising Editor

Rosary’s mock trial team is one of the many activities here at the Academy, and the team’s participation and achievements have grown so much within the past couple of years.

This year, the mock trial team began their practice at the beginning of the year and have been working hard ever since. Creating cross and direct examinations, memorizing witness statements, preparing for pretrial, and writing opening statements and closing arguments are just some of the many things that our mock trial team does during their weekly meetings.

This year the mock trial team has received many new members, especially from the freshman class. I asked Giselle Gomez ’26 about her experience thus far in mock trial and she stated, “I am so excited for this opportunity, I love this team. I’m so excited to be working with everybody and I’m so excited for our first competition, go Royals!”

Sra. Kam was the mock trial teacher moderator for Connelly for many years and has served as Rosary’s teacher moderator for the past two years. She expressed, “We’re working up to the eleventh hour, even on Halloween we’re practicing so we can bring glory to the Rosary Royals community!”

Sra. Kam (teacher moderator) and Mrs. Garcia (one of our coaches)!  (Photo Provided by Cadiz Salazar ’23)

There are also some behind-the-scenes roles that mock trial has to offer that not everyone might know about! Gabrielle Lazo ’25, our designated mock trial artist, expressed, “Being the courtroom artist for mock trial has allowed me to express my artistic abilities in ways that can both improve my skills and expose myself within my community.”

However, none of this could be done if it were not for the help of the wonderful team coaches. Last year, Rosary’s coaches won the award for “Best Coaches,” a well deserved title indeed. Norma Garcia, a coach for the past two years and mother to Eliana Guillen ’23, mentioned,  “It truly is such a joy working with such bright and enthusiastic young women!”

The teams first match is fast approaching, with their trial taking place on November 2nd. If you see any mock trial members, be sure to wish them good luck on the upcoming match! To stay updated on all things mock trial, be sure to follow the team on Instagram @rosarymocktrial.