Top 5 Timmy T. movies

Timothee Chalamet is arguably one of the most talented actors in our generation. (Photo taken from Google Images via Creative Commons License).

Trista Verne, Copy Editor

The man can act, the man can dress, and most importantly, the man can rap.

Timothée Chalamet, arguably one of the most talented actors of our time, has been in everything from period pieces to sci-fi to indie coming-of-age films, and has impressively made a giant name for himself in the film industry at the ripe age of 26.

Chalamet has an astonishing filmography of 25 movies, including some of the biggest films in the industry. Since I have seen about 20/25 of Chalamet’s movies, I believe I am more than qualified to rank his top five movies. And I will not be taking any criticism on this list, for I am an expert.

1. “Hot Summer Nights”

At number five we have “Hot Summer Nights” directed by Elijah Bynum. This movies follows Timothée’s character, Daniel, and his journey of making new friends in the town of Cape Cod. He ends up befriending the town’s trouble maker, leading him to meet his younger sister. Daniel and McKayla, the younger sister, spend the rest of the summer together, hiding a forbidden relationship. This movie is super underrated amongst Timothée’s movies. It is not only a cute movie, but it is also really funny and I thoroughly enjoy watching it every time which grants its ranking in the top five.

1. “Lady Bird”

“Lady Bird,” directed by the amazingly talented Greta Gerwig, is Chalamet’s fourth best movie. Although Timothée’s character, Kyle, plays a somewhat small role in this film, the overall plot and characters make this one of my favorite movies. “Lady Bird” stars Saoirse Ronan who plays a teenage girl who is deeply opinionated and stubborn. Saoirse’s Character, Lady Bird, develops a rocky relationship with her mom and spends the movie rebelling. Kyle plays one of Lady Bird’s boyfriends, and honestly, he is probably the worst boyfriend imaginable. Either way, this movie stays at number four for its humorous script and relatable characters.

Greta Gerwig is shown directing Timothee Chalamet and Saoirse Ronan on the set of “Lady Bird.” (Photo taken from Google Images via Creative Commons License).
  1. “Call Me by Your Name”

Taking spot number three, we have “Call Me by Your Name,” directed by Luca Guadagnino. Timothée Chalamet stars along side Armie Hammer (Yes, Armie Hammer is an awful person. Try not to let his villainy distract you from how great this movie is) in this movie, set in Northern Italy. The plot follows Chalamet’s character, Elio, and Hammer’s character, Oliver. Oliver is a foreign exchange student living with Elio’s family for a summer. Elio and Oliver develop a unique friendship over their time spent together. This friendship ultimately ends with a tear-wrenching goodbye at the end of the movie–leaving most of the audience in tears, including myself. This movie was the first Timothée Chalamet movie I watched and it will always hold a special place in my heart. This movie is number three because of the beautiful cinematography and the beloved on-screen relationship Elio and Oliver share.

Timothee Chalamet and Steve Carell smile along side each other on the set of “Beautiful Boy.” (Photo taken from Google Images via Creative Commons License).
  1. “Beautiful Boy”

“Beautiful Boy,” at number two, encapsulates the struggles of drug addiction through a true story about Nic Sheff and his father, David Sheff. In the film, Timothée plays Nic Sheff and Steve Carell plays David Sheff. Nic Sheff seems to have a perfect life with a loving family and a planned out future when his drug addiction threatens to destroy his plans and his relationship with his family. David Sheff spends the movie trying to get his son the help he needs while also maintaining a healthy distance. The movie tells a true story of how drug addiction can truly harm people’s lives and leaves the audience extremely emotional. This movie is number two because of Chalamet’s beautiful depiction of such a difficult story and how moving the story truly is.

1. “Little Women” (2019)

And finally, at number one, we have “Little Women,” directed by, once again, Greta Gerwig. This movie stars some of the best actors and actresses of our time: Timothée Chalamet, Saoirse Ronan, Florence Pugh, Emma Watson, and Meryl Streep. This famous period piece follows Jo March, Ronan’s character, as well as her three other sisters. Jo March’s dream is to be a famous writer; however, during the 19 century this was a very uncommon thing for a woman to accomplish. While fighting to be a famous writer, Laurie, Chalamet’s character, falls for Jo and proposes to her. Jo declines this offer because she believes she is unfit for any marriage. This decision leads Laurie to find his happy ever after with none other than, Jo’s sister, Amy.

The cast of “Little Women” (2019) snaps a pic eating French fries from Wendy’s between takes. (Photo from @tchalamet on Instagram).

Besides that, “Little Women” is and will always be, my favorite movie of all time. Greta Gerwig perfectly directs this famous story and ultimately creates the best adaptation of “Little Women” to date. If I could, I would talk about this movie for hours on end, but to spare you, I have limited it to this refined paragraph.

To be clear, Chalamet may have many great movies on paper; however, nothing will compare to this top five list. I rest my case that this is the best and only way to rank Timothée’s best five movies.