Girls Can Play Football Too

The Girls Flag Football team all gather for a photo before their first game. (Photo taken from Instagram @Rosaryroyals)

Victoria Gomez, Staff Writer

On Sunday April 16, Rosary Academy’s first ever Girls Flag Football team kicked off pre- season by playing their first ever game at Sofi Stadium in Inglewood.

An action shot of our Royals mid- game. (Photo taken from Instagram @Rosaryroyals)

The royals had the great opportunity to have all of Sofi Stadium to themselves as they took on their opponents from Hawthorne High School. The Royals put on their uniforms, tied their cleats, put in their mouth guards, applied eye-black, and were ready to go. Sophomore Pia Gomez had a few things to share about this new and exciting experience. She says, “This has been a unique experience that I have been blessed to have received. Our coach is extremely patient and has so much faith in us which just pushes us to do our best.” The Royals took what they have learned at practices and applied it throughout the game.

Suspense grew from the moment the Royals were given the ball. Marisol Reza ’25 scored the first touchdown during the first half. She said, “Playing on that field was so unreal especially after my touchdown it hearing my family and teammates cheer me on it felt so good and it was an experience I will never forget especially because I got to be with my teammates, friends, and family. I can’t wait to see what we do in season this year and how this upcoming season is going to go.”  Sophie Figueroa ’26 explained, “This game was so much fun, and the preparation of us practicing during spring break was so worth it! Like we even got into the VIP section of the stadium, how cool!” The girls encouraged one another and have already created amazing bonds that will definitely come in handy for future games.

The girls gather as a team and break after their victory! (Photo taken by Tori Gomez ’23)

In the end, after all their hard work, the Royals took the win 32-14. Rosary Academy is super proud of the Girls Flag Football team and look forward to what other great experiences and opportunities they will have and we wish them best of luck on their future games!