All eyes on the White Team Astronauts!

Photo provided by @rosaryroyals2024 on Instagram

Introducing: White Team! From left to right: Dianella Sy ’23, Kimiko Watanabe ’23, Adriana Arroyo ’23, Cadiz Salazar ’23, Gabriela Coo ’24, Madison Hayward ’23

Sydney Rosario, Staff Writer

Red Team this, Gold Team that… How about White Team?

As the Red and Gold season begins, excitement and anticipation flood the poster-ridden hallways and minds of many Royals.

Many know Rosary’s beloved tradition of splitting the school into two teams– hence, Red and Gold. However, some are unaware of the backbone of this production: the six young women who make up the White Team. This year, five seniors, Adriana Arroyo ’23, Cadiz Salazar ’23, Dianella Sy ’23, Madison Hayward ’23, senior representative, Kimiko Watanabe ’23, and junior representative, Gabriela Coo ’24 are hardworking and passionate Royals who are all perfect fits.

To get a better understanding of their underrated roles, here are frequently asked questions three White Team members answered…

This year, the White Team members are Astronauts! (Photo provided by @rosaryroyals on Instagram)

Q: What exactly is your job as a White Team member?

Cadiz: “We all pretty much take on similar tasks such as helping with the skit, getting supplies for the bathroom, going to Red and Gold captain meetings, meeting with Ms. La Bonte ’09, Mrs. Huerta ’94, and Servite’s Mr. Betts, and a lot more!”

Q: As Red and Gold Kickoff rolls around, how does White Team prepare for the craziness?

Kimiko: “Right now, we are mainly focusing on mentally preparing for sleepless nights, excitement, and a crazy amount of school pride!”

Q: How is it not being in a set color, Red or Gold, and being completely unbiased?

Dianella: “It is very interesting to oversee both teams’ scripts and how contrasting they are. I love seeing how creative the scriptwriters are in order to fit this year’s theme into their script.”

Kimiko: “It is kind of cool being the middle man of both teams. I love being able to know the details of both teams, but sometimes it is hard to not favor a team’s script, costumes, or song choices.”

Cadiz: “It’s so much fun! To be honest, at first, I was a little skeptical about not having a set color just because I had the best experience during last year’s Red and Gold, but I have grown to absolutely love working with my White Teams members and hearing about all the amazing things both sides are doing for their productions. There is so much work that goes on behind the scenes, so being able to see both teams’ ideas, interpretations, and growth has been a blast.”

Q: What are you most excited about this year’s Red and Gold?

Dianella: “I am very excited to see the process of both teams’ productions and how it will turn out on Red & Gold Weekend! In addition, I am excited to dance both Red’s and Gold’s dances and drills in front of the student body on the Friday of Red & Gold Weekend!”

Kimiko: “Honestly, I cannot wait to see all of the hard work both teams put in the next six weeks. I know this time is very stressful for many Royals, but when performance weekend rolls around, it is all worth it.”

Q: What is a common misconception about White Team?

Cadiz: “A misconception is that White Team has any say on who wins. We’re not able to give any input on any of the teams and are mostly there to oversee everything and make sure that everything’s in order. Whoever’s put on what team is completely unbiased, so we’re really just here to help!”

Kimiko: “A common misconception is that this job it is not too hard, especially when it comes to dividing the entire school into teams. However, we did that manually; there was no computer program that we could just press a button and it divides the school evenly.”

Cadiz Salazar and Gabriela Coo being amazing actresses as they reveal this year’s theme: In the Blink of an Eye! (Photo provided by @rosaryroyals on Instagram)

Dianella: “A misconception about White Team is we do not do anything for Red & Gold. However, the six of us put an immense amount of work ever since the student body turned in the pink form in October, stating what category they want to be on and if they want to be a captain.”

Well, there you have it! White Team does a lot more than you may think when it comes to Red and Gold. I think I speak for everyone when I say, this exciting Red and Gold season will fly In the Blink of an Eye!