Mock Trial Roundup: Another Winning Season

The entire team posing for a picture at the last round! (Photo Provided by Cadiz Salazar ’23)

Cadiz Salazar, Supervising Editor

Determination. Quick-thinking. Dedication. Camaraderie. These are just a few of the many words that encapsulate the effort and hard work that Rosary Academy’s Mock Trial Team puts into their program, especially within this past season.

Back in December, Rosary Academy’s Mock Trial Team competed in Round 6 of The Constitutional Rights Foundation Orange County (CRF-OC) Mock Trial Competition against OSCA’s Blue Team. By competing in Round 6, Rosary was considered to be in the Top 8 schools in Orange County. Compared to last year, when the team advanced to the Top 16, the Royals have grown even more in their Mock Trial skills.

Mock Trial seniors posing for a picture! (Photo Provided by Cadiz Salazar ’23)

Eliana Guillen ’23, Mock Trial captain, mentioned, “I really enjoyed mock trial! I enjoyed the friendships that I made and the knowledge that I acquired as well. I loved being able to learn more about the law to be able to see if that was a good path for me. This season, we had a younger team which will be really good for Rosary because it gives the team the opportunity to develop even more over the years. But I feel this year we all worked and did really well, especially since we went to the top 8 which was higher than we made it last year! All in all, I’m really thankful for my time in Mock Trial.”

Freshman Mia Paquette stated, “Mock Trial not only has challenged me to be more confident, but has taught me valuable skills that I can use in and out of the courtroom. It has allowed me to identify my strengths and weaknesses and has improved my speaking skills.”

Sra. Kam, the team’s teacher coach, expressed, “We were so excited to make it into the ‘sweet sixteen’ for the playoffs last year and this year we made it into the Final 8!  Next year looks very hopeful to excel even more and make it to the Semi-Finals or the Championship round.  Who knows?!? The Royals are pretty unstoppable!”

A few members of the team meeting for a season debrief. (Photo Provided by Cadiz Salazar ’23)

Having been a part of Mock Trial for the past four years, I can say that I am truly grateful for the many lessons that Mock Trial taught me. It taught me how to think critically and in a moment’s notice. It taught me more about the law and helped me find my interest in it. But, most of all, it taught me the importance of teamwork and friendship. Looking back at where I was freshman year to the person that I am now, I would say that Mock Trial gave me the opportunity to grow not just as an ‘attorney,’ but also as an individual.

If you are thinking about joining Mock Trial next year, I would highly recommend it. It’s such a supportive and welcoming community that will give you the ability to perhaps discover a new passion!

Me and Eliana Guillen ’23, and Giselle Tolentino ’23 our freshman year of Mock Trial! (Photo Provided by Cadiz Salazar ’23)

Congrats to the 2022-2023 Rosary Mock Trial Team on another terrific season.