What does Servite XC think about Rosary XC?

Servites+and+Rosarys+tents+at+the+Mt.+Sac+Invitational+race.+

Photo Credit: Mandy Puga

Servite’s and Rosary’s tents at the Mt. Sac Invitational race.

Mandy Puga, Staff Writer

This past cross country season, Rosary made the decision to start training with Servite’s cross country team. I could have written a whole article asking my teammates what they thought about the decision. But then I began to wonder… What is Servite’s opinion about this new change?

So, I interviewed a couple of Servite’s runners to see their take was on the situation.

Even though this is their first year, the freshmen on the team had this to say about their experience.

Manny Lopez ’26 said, “I can’t really speak on it since this is my first year, and I don’t have anything to compare it to, but it’s been a great experience overall.”

Manny has made record breaking times this season, running 15:48 at OC Championships and 15:59 at Trinity League Preview.

Freshman Lucas Mejia gave a surprisingly sophisticated answer, “Rosary joining our cross country has been a blessing in disguise. We’ve all been able to get to know each other better, and having two teams makes us a lot stronger at races.”

Compared to the freshman, the sophomores on the team had rather vague opinions.

Sam Neher ’25 said, “It’s alright. I honestly don’t really care too much about it.”

Sophomore Aiden Dauger said, “My sister goes to Rosary, so it’s been interesting getting to know the Cross Country team.”

Similar to his friend Sam, Teagan Lee ’26 had a lot to say about this topic stating, “It’s ok.”

On the other hand, the juniors and seniors were supportive of the change. Here is what they had to say:

Josh Siebert ’24 and Jake Ratzlaff ’24 trying to hide the fact that Josh crashed his car on the way to practice. (Photo Credit: Mandy Puga)

Josh Siebert ’24 said, “I was curious about what the sisterhood was like and it’s been fun getting to see how well you all bond with each other. It’s a completely different vibe. Rosary XC has been a great addition to our team.”

Junior Jake Ratzlaff stated, “I think it’s cool that the girls get to run with us since they get to work with two new coaches who have a lot of experience in the sport. The team is headed in a good direction.”

Michael Guerra ’23 racing varsity at Trinity League Prelims. (Photo provided by Servite Athletic Instagram)

Senior Michael Guerra expressed, “Initially, when Rosary’s team first joined I was like… oh, there’s girls now. However, as we got closer as a team, Servite and Rosary cross country both grew and we are now better and stronger than ever. Credo.”

To wrap up these interviews, Coach Karson Hayden stated, “Bringing the girls over to the team created a better experience for both Rosary and Servite to challenge and support one another. It’s also a great way to build on the brotherhood sisterhood idea we are trying to foster.”

Overall, Rosary and Servite’s coming together has been a new and encouraging change for cross country. I have seen an improvement not only in myself, but also in our team. Our attitude at practice and our  running skills have changed for the better.

Make sure to come see Rosary and Servite at our last race together on October 28th at Huntington Central Park!