Rosary alumnae Kairos experiences

(Photo Credit: Ms. Nollette)

A group of past Royals snap a happy picture while on Kairos.

Daniela Arias, Editor-in-Chief

Like the first round of seniors that embarked on their Kairos retreat this week, many of Rosary’s own faculty/staff found themselves doing the same during their year as a senior Royal.

I decided to interview three of Rosary’s own faculty and staff alumnae on their experiences at the retreat.

While the three all shared that their Kairos was located in Mission San Luis Ray in sunny Oceanside, California, the highlights of their experiences differed.

Beloved Rosary Spanish teacher Señora Kappe ’03 revealed the highlight of her Kairos trip: “I loved all the events that were held in the evening. I remember each night’s activities as if it were yesterday. Dim lights, candles, the talks, the games, the snacks, the prayers, the songs, the quiet times…. I still have so many mementos from that week. I remember coming home and having such deep feelings of love, gratitude, and peace!”

Similarly to Señora Kappe, Mrs. O’Campo ’02 reminisced on her joy-filled Kairos trip: “The highlight of my Kairos experience was bonding with my small group. I also had a blast singing and dancing to church songs during our free time.”

While both Señora Kappe and Mrs. O’Campo dwelled on the bonding aspect of Kairos, Ms. La Bonte ’09 reflected on the spirituality factor: “Growing my relationship with God and being able to share the experience with my classmates was very special for me.”

Royals on a past Kairos snap a smiley picture mid card game. (Photo Credit: Katherine Leon)

After revealing all their personal favorite parts of the retreat, the alumnae explained why they encourage current and future seniors to venture onto Kairos.

Señora Kappe shared, “Kairos is an amazing experience. It allows a senior to take time for herself. She is allowed to pause and reflect on her life, her faith in God, and her relationships. Kairos will make you laugh, cry, smile, and appreciate who you are as a young lady. It reminds you that you are seen, you are valued, and you are loved by so many people around you.”

Much like Señora Kappe’s encouragement, Mrs. O’Campo discussed how Kairos serves as the perfect time of reflection and relaxation: “I see students running from school to practice to studying, and Kairos is an opportunity to slow down, re-focus, and re-engage with God. Within the four days, you see the beauty of God at work and the relationships that blossom among the group as a whole and the small groups.”

And finally, Ms. La Bonte gave her own take on why students should attend Kairos: “I would encourage all Royals to attend Kairos because it is an experience like no other retreat. The retreat allows you the space to communicate with God, grow in your relationship with God, and support your Rosary sisters as they go through the same journey.”

Despite all going at different times, it seems like the three alumnae can each positively reflect on the lifelong memories Kairos has the potential to offer Royals.