Stress? What Stress?!

Sophomore Serena Park makes friends with therapy dog German Shepherd Lucien. Photo by Ms. Barclay

Ms. Barclay, Adviser

As part of Rosary’s Wellness Initiative, therapy dogs were on campus yesterday to give some students a much needed dose of relaxation and love.  Ten students at a time were able to sit with the dogs and interact with them.  Some even got to help the dogs do tricks or hide treats for them.  The six dogs varied from a black lab named Lucky to a giant Sheep Dog named Gizmo, who took over the leather couch in Room 10 and wouldn’t give it up for anyone.

Gizmo the Sheep Dog gets comfy on his couch in Room 10. Photo by Ms. Barclay
Therapy dog Reign, a Rough Collie, stands proudly waiting to be pet. Photo by Ms. Barclay
Lucky the Black Lab excited by his new admirers. Photo by Ms. Barclay

Ellie Hernandez ’21 says she chose the therapy dog wellness session because she only has one dog at home and her dog is getting older.  Freshman Danielle Perez said, “I really liked it! The dogs are all very good boys, and it’s so calming.”

Therapy dog Lucien calmly soothes students’ stress in Room 9 during Wellness Day. Photo by Ms. Barclay

Junior Julia Oskorus, who got to run through tricks with Lucky, the black lab, said she really needed to attend the therapy dog session because she’s been so stressed.  “I had a big test today and it was nice to just relax afterwards with all the dogs.  I have been waiting all day for this!”

Junior Christina Borbon enjoys a special snuggle from Lucky the Black Lab. Photo by Ms. Barclay

The dogs especially loved junior Rory Brandon, who was smothered at one point by not one but two dogs! Rory shared, “It was a lot of fun.  A nice change from being in a classroom and learning all the time. It was just fun to sit and play with the dogs. My stress level is very low right now. ”  When asked why the dogs loved her so much, Rory responded, “I think they smell my dogs.  I have a mutt named Kelly and a Great Pyrenees/Bernese Mountain Dog named Snickers.”

Junior Rory Brandon was especially beloved by the therapy dogs on campus for Wellness. Photo by Ms. Barclay

Overall, the therapy dogs were the hit of Wellness, which included new sessions such as Ms. D’Alba’s hit, No-Bake Baking and Fun with Play-doh in the art room.  The Royals have been quite taken with Wellness Days as a means to relieve some school stress and look forward to more Wellness Days.