Bama Bound: a college decision storytime

Brynn Beauchamp, Staff Writer

Taking senior photos is seriously so fun, don’t miss out! (Photo credit: Kari Moore Photography)

As my final days of senior year approach, I am left reflecting on all of my adventures through the college application process. For all my underclassmen out there, I know how hard it is to just “not know” what comes next. You are beginning to stress about it all from location, to majors, to costs, and everything in between. I was there too, but now, here I am right on the other side of what seems impossible to most of you know. So, here’s the full story time on how I chose my college…

It all started last summer, I packed my bags and headed for a road-trip across the southern part of the United States. Together, my mom and I conquered eight states, twelve schools, and one broken down rental car. Then, there I was. It was July 1, so I immediately opened up my computer and got to work. Four schools, four applications,

Fun Fact: I flew out for the home games because I was convinced I was going to attend Ole Miss. (Photo credit: Brynn Beauchamp ’23)

two sets of test scores, and no essays. If you take anything away from this article, take this: only apply to the schools you actually want to go to, and apply as soon as the portal opens. Save yourself stress, save yourself money, and save yourself.

As the months went on, I became obsessed with the University of Mississippi. I was fascinated by the campus after visiting, and I found my best friend, picked a dorm, and even flew out there five separate times to visit. Suddenly, I had it all figured out… or so I thought. Then, my scholarship rolled in, and I was set. But, when I logged into my portal to pay my deposit, I froze. Now, this wasn’t just like a moment of slight hesitation, it was like a moment of complete realization. I couldn’t say I loved it out loud. I couldn’t see myself there. I don’t panic much, but I completely panicked. What was I supposed to do now? So again, in senior year fashion, I did nothing. For three whole months…

Then one night, I was going through my inbox when a message caught my eyes. I had seen it before, but this time, I really saw it. I spent about an hour staring at it before I got in my car and went for a drive. Everything felt calm, peaceful, and clear. I hit shuffle on my Spotify playlist when I realized a particular song had come on. It was in that moment that I finally knew that this was the place for me. How didn’t I see it all along?

Yes. I did wear an Alabama Lululemon skirt for my pictures. (Photo credit: Kari Moore Photography)

It took me about a month to finally reveal my decision to my mom and then to my dad. I wanted to surprise my loved ones all one by one, and I have to say this was the most sentimental moment of my college admissions journey. I bought hats, shirts, stickers, and even some fun gameday buttons for my mom. Watching everyone react and shower me with so much love and support was beyond special.

I was Bama Bound! Before I knew it, I had fallen in love with my school. It was perfect, and it was mine. From my major, ranked number 19 in the country, to the school spirit that is unreal, the University of Alabama is a perfect culmination of everything I have been searching for. The choice was so clear, this school was meant for me.

Now, I’m not here to tell you every experience can be just like mine. However, I am here to tell you that it always, yes always, works out. No matter how many rejections, waitlists, or acceptances you end up with, the decision never gets easier. In the end, you will love the path you choose, you will rep those cringe worthy school colors, and you will always love the mascot. College doesn’t have to be scary, the process doesn’t have to consume you. I promise you can have it all, but sometimes you just have to look at what’s right in front of you!