Juniors’ and seniors’ service hours

Rosarys+varsity+basketball+team+volunteering+at+the+St.+Norbert+food+bank+in+Orange.+

Photo Provided by @rosaryroyals Instagram

Rosary’s varsity basketball team volunteering at the St. Norbert food bank in Orange.

Colleen Schmitt, Staff Writer

This year, Rosary’s Juniors and Seniors are required to complete a minimum of 10 community service hours in both the fall and spring semesters.

There are specific agencies the students can serve for. Students, the list of these services can be found in Microsoft Teams in your religion class. Along with the agencies, there is a service verification form that must be signed by the agency to verify your time.

These agencies offer Rosary students hands on experience with the homeless, hungry, elderly, and disabled individuals.

Justine Avalos ’23, who has already finished her service hours, shared her experience with serving at Rosary: ” I did the baking and candy camp here at Rosary with Mr. Lyons. It was really fun to help out and meet girls who were excited to go to Rosary in the future. I would recommend Rosary students volunteering.”

Campus Ministry Coordinator Mrs. Flati shared the importance of doing this community service, “Our school’s charism is to ‘serve the dear neighbor’ just as the Sisters of St. Joseph have done for hundreds of years. By reaching out in service, we grow in empathy, compassion and gratitude for all that God has given us. Serving others in our wider community helps to shape our Rosary grads as servant leaders. Making it more likely that any ventures or plans they take in the future includes the ‘other’ and we grow in our sense of duty to the world at large or our extended human family.”

The service verification forms are to be turned in to Mrs. Flati in the Campus Ministry Office (Room 9) by January 31, 2023.