The Royals rank acai bowls

The giant and delicious acai bowls at Protien Lab. (Photo Credit: Layla Langrell)

Layla Langrell, Staff Writer

I have an addiction. Acai bowls rule my life. I need to have them at least once a week, maybe more depending on my mood. My go-to order is a bowl with acai base, bananas, granola, strawberries, and peanut butter. I get them from all places but have yet to find the best acai bowl. 

I want a go-to acai bowl place, a place I can visit in times of need or when I fail a math test; so, I called upon the Royals to help me figure out which place has the superior acai bowls. I asked Royals who are avid acai bowl eaters to make sure my data was accurate and then made my list based on their opinions.

5. Bevaris

The acai bowls have great flavor and the chia seed pudding is to die for. Isabela Gutierrez ’23 said, “I got one out of the blue sophomore year at the end of lunch, and it was so scrumptious. I think about that acai bowl often because of how good it was. The blue stuff on top was sweet in the best way.”

4. Acai Republic

Some Rosary girls work at Acai Republic and it is a very popular place. I may be biased, but they have the nicest staff and have such a great environment. “Acai Republic has the ability to make my day instantly better,” says Kendall Clarida ’23. They have tons of options and even have specialty bowls with different toppings. The fruit is cut fresh daily and is always delicious.

The stunning fresh fruit bar that is freshly cut at Acai Republic. (Photo provided by Kathleen Martinez).

3. Blue Bowl

Blue Bowl has the best pitaya base and the granola is really good. They also have a huge selection and each bowl is custom-made to order. Senior Cadiz Salazar says, “I first went to Blue Bowl a couple of months ago and I truly fell in love. From the variety of bases they have (acai, matcha blue coconut, etc.) to the butter that is made fresh in the store, you can find anything that fits your desires.”

2. Bonzai Bowls

The famous juice shop in Newport Beach is very popular with beachgoers. After a hot summer day of swimming in the ocean, nothing tastes better than a cold acai bowl topped with fresh fruit. The bowls are beautifully made and perfect for Instagram pictures. Trista Verne ’23 says, “Bonzai Bowl has the best portions and you can customize your bowl however you would like. Sunrise Malibu is the best one and it is life-changing. If I don’t have it once a month, my skin will peel off like a lizard and my tail will fall off as well.”

1.Protein Lab

I was skeptical at first of this ranking, so I went to Protein Lab after school, and let me tell you, my life was changed. The bowls are the best thing to exist on the planet and nothing could ever top it. I peaked in my life that day, and it has not been the same since. When I am away from Protein Lab, something is missing in my heart. The bowls are huge and you get a lot for what you’re paying for. The fruit is fresh and the granola is perfect.

Julianna Ortiz ’23 says, “Protein lab is the best acai bowl place, no questions asked. The base is so smooth and delicious and the granola is the best I’ve ever had. The basic acai bowl with strawberries and bananas is my personal favorite, but you can’t go wrong with any smoothie there.”

Protein Lab was sent from the heavens, and I highly recommend you try it. Chances are you will probably see me there, and if you do, don’t hesitate to say ‘hello.’