The wonderful world of Judd Apatow movies

Comedy duo, Jonah Hill and Michael Cera in Super Bad.

(Photo taken from Google Images via Creative Commons License)

Comedy duo, Jonah Hill and Michael Cera in “Super Bad.”

Daniela Arias, Assistant Editor-in-Chief

I’m a firm believer that every human being on this planet has seen at least one Judd Apatow movie. If you are a part of that small percentage that has yet to see a movie directed/produced by my beloved Judd, allow me to talk you through some of my personal favorites.

*These are not ranked from least favorite to most favorite, this is just an entire list of my favorites*

“Zookeeper”

Now this one is just a childhood classic. Starring Kevin James, the movie follows zookeeper Griffin Keyes as he navigates his lackluster love life. As he begins to lose all hope for his unchanging relationship status, he gets advice from some very unlikely comradesthe talking zoo animals! Look, it sounds a bit Dr. Dolittle-esque, but this movie was a 10 in my books as a kid and remains in my top 10 kid movies to this day.

“Step Brothers”

Probably one of Judd’s more known productions, “Step Brothers” is a hilariously stupid movie which shows the slow bond of two man-child step brothers, Brennan Huff and Dale Doback. I have never been much of a stickler for the whole man-child trope, BUT, Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly really deliver on the dumb-funny moments that make this movie authentic.

“Super Bad”

This movie is inarguably an iconic Judd masterpiece. The plot revolves around two best friends, Seth and Evan, in their last week of high school which they are determined to fill with partying, girls, and an overall good time. With a star studded cast featuring Jonah Hill, Seth Rogen, Michael Cera, Emma Stone, Bill Hader, and more, this movie is guaranteed to go down in your favorites category.

“Funny People”

This happens to be one of the more serious Apatow films. The film takes us into the life of comedian George Simmons (Adam Sandler) as he navigates life after being diagnosed with a terminal illness. With his new assistant and fellow comedian Ira (Seth Rogen) at his side, George learns how to really live his life and forge/re-forge meaningful bonds with old and new friends. Despite being riddled with cheesy yet raunchy jokes, the movie really brings out one of Sandler’s best performances in his entire acting career.

“Forgetting Sarah Marshall”
I really love this movie because I really love Jason Segel. Segel plays freshly heartbroken Peter Bretter as he ventures to Hawaii in need of an escape only to run into his ex (Kristen Bell) and her new rock star boyfriend (Russell Brand) at the hotel. Like “Funny People,” the movie has a crazy good cast which features Mila Kunis, Paul Rudd, Jonah Hill, Bill Hader, Jack McBrayer, and many more stars.

“The Five-Year Engagement”

This movie made me cry. Its premise is given away in the title as the story follows couple Tom Solomon (Jason Segel) and Violet Barnes (Emily Blunt) as they face multiple obstacles in their long and eventful engagement. With scenes that will make you laugh, cringe, and tear up, this movie is just fantastic.

This list just includes some of my favorite Apatow movies, but there are so many others that he has been involved in that are hilariously good too. I encourage you in your free time to watch a Judd Apatow movie and allow yourself to transcend into a world of stupidly funny, raunchy humor.