Speak to Inspire featuring Laura Ramos

Laura Ramos 82 on the cover for one of Rosarys Speak to Inspire.

(Photo Provided by Rosary Academy)

Laura Ramos ’82 on the cover for one of Rosary’s Speak to Inspire.

Mandy Puga, Staff Writer

On Tuesday, Nov. 9, Rosary held their third Speak to Inspire in the LEC, which featured Laura Ramos ’82, the CEO of Providence St. Jude Medical Center.

Former Royal, Mrs. Ramos, came to talk to students about nursing and hospital administration.

Some interested Royals asked questions such as:

What was the hardest challenge you had to face?

Ramos: “I would say this past pandemic. Covid-19 affected everyone, so that provided a huge challenge for me since I’m in charge of everyone. Those months that the pandemic hit, I had to sleep over at the hospital, one time for three weeks straight with no breaks. It was tough. But I’m proud of my team for making it through.”

Did you ever reconsider or have any second thoughts about your job?

Ramos: “I always knew I wanted to be a nurse, but I didn’t exactly know what kind of nurse I wanted to be. For a while, I was interested in therapy, but ultimately, I went back to nursing.”

What made you want to become a nurse?

Ramos: “My grandma was a nurse, so every night, she came home with stories about her day and what she did as a nurse. Those stories resonated with me at a young age and led me to become the person I am today.”

Speak to Inspire helps Rosary students find a career they are interested in and gives them a chance to receive more specific information from a successful employee in that field. If you’re a Rosary student, make sure to find out who is speaking at the next Speak to Inspire and see if you’re interested!