Introducing Mrs. Roberts

Donna Roberts

Rosary Academy welcomes Mrs. Roberts!

A new school year comes with new beginnings, including teachers! This school year, Rosary Academy welcomes our newest English and Speech and Debate teacher, Mrs. Roberts!

Q: What brought you to Rosary?

Over the summer, I met and had a conversation with a basketball mom whose daughter attends St. Juliana’s. This mom was contemplating co-ed or girls-only education for her daughter. She had a lot of nice things to say about Rosary. I saw the opening on EdJoin (I felt a “ping”) and applied. A week later, I received an email requesting and interview. I met with the English Department, the Head of School, the principal, and the assistant principal. We had a blast in the interview (or at least I did). They called and asked me to come back on the following Monday. I did and we made our relationship official!

Q: What made you decide to become a teacher?

I don’t know that I ever decided to become a teacher. In everything I do, “teaching” sort of just came up. Every “regular” job I have ever had eventually evolved into me coaching or training others. For many years, I was the worship leader at my church and that involved some level of “teaching” the congregation about entering sitting in God’s presence. I taught Sunday school to high school youth for many years.

In 2015 I was looking for writing gigs as a freelance screenwriter or writer for hire. The work was slow, so I began substitute teaching, working in long-term teaching assignments, summer school sessions and daily, or weekly teaching assignments, while teachers left to have surgeries, get married or take extended vacations. The classroom was a lot of fun, so I took some education courses and eventually earned a single-subject teaching credential in English. My goal as a teacher is to leverage my love of reading, writing and storytelling into a successful teaching position where I inspire others to find their writer voice and if nothing else, love the words on the page whether written by them or someone else.

Q: Where did you go to school?

High School – Los Amigos High School in Fountain Valley California

Orange Coast College – Cypress College Where I studied Theater/Music and English.

Cal State Fullerton – BA in English, BA in Film – MFA in Screenwriting for film and television & Single Subject Teaching Credential in English.

It made sense for me to attend college in Fullerton since my kids were also going to school in that district. They are grown now.

Q: Have you always enjoyed public speaking? 

Yes, I have always enjoyed public speaking. According to my 81-year-old mother, I could talk before I could walk. I have always found myself talking or debating on a plethora of topics. In college, speech class was one of my favorites. My speaking opportunities have come in the way of leading worship at church and teaching Sunday School to high school students. As one of the worship leaders at my church, my worship leading included little “mini-sermons” about God as I was trying to lead others into His Awesome presence.

Q: What’s your favorite book? 

Honestly?  It is a toss up between I and II Samuel because it reads like a novel and the Book of Daniel. Secular books? I honestly do not have a favorite – I do love Toni Morrison though. My favorite secular reading books are whatever I am reading at the moment.

Q: How would you describe your family?

I was raised by two very hard-working parents who worked hard to make sure I lacked nothing.  I have two older siblings and one nephew. I have been married for 30 years. I have 4 young adult children; all of them above the age of 20. We are a family of creatives. My children worked in entertainment as children. They were blessed to work on the professional stage and in print work, commercials, television shows and movies. I was a “stage mom” until my children decided they wanted a break. All of them love music and all of them love serving in church doing music or working with youth. I have two baby grands [grandchildren]; DiMaggio (6) the intellectual; and Decland (3) the athlete. I have a chihuahua mix named Minnie.

Q: What do you like to do in your free time?

In my free time, I like to engage in all things story. Since 2015 I have facilitated a writing group with a writing mentor, friend and colleague. We meet twice a month and share our screen stories.  It is a safe place to gather with writers and get some feedback on the stories on which we are working. I write, I sing, I watch a ton of movies and educate myself in master classes.

Q: If you were a student at Rosary, which class(es) would you take? 

I would definitely take one of Mrs. Hunt’s Science classes. I would enroll in any of Mrs. Rosales or Ms. D’Alba’s classes. I would also take Mr. Stegink’s 7th period literature class where they talk about movies and stories.

Q: What are you looking forward to the most at Rosary? 

I am most looking forward to learning about this group of young women who are world changers. I am impressed with all the students in all of my classes so far. You all are brilliant and highly motivated to succeed in this life and I am inspired by the student body here. I am most looking forward to the end of the year when we see how much we have learned and grown together.

Rosary welcomes Mrs. Roberts with open arms and is looking forward to see what she can do this school year. If you happen to see her around on campus, be sure to say hi!