Welcoming Mr. Guerrero!

Mr. Guerrero and his wife on their wedding day! Photo provided by: Mr. Guerrero

Isabelle Brookshire and Trinity Delacruz

This school year, Rosary Academy welcomes a new physics teacher: Mr. Guerrero! We had the pleasure of interviewing him to learn a bit more about him.

Q: Where were you born and raised?

A: I was born in Montebello, California. I lived there until I was 11 years old, then in 1990, I actually moved to Temecula, California. I went to high school and middle school there. Now I’m here. 

Q: How long have you been a teacher?

A: This is my ninth year. I’ve been teaching for nine years. I like teaching: I kinda fell into it. I didn’t really plan on being a teacher, and it’s just been an experience that’s really transformed me. 

Q: What do you find rewarding about being a teacher?

A: What I find rewarding about teaching is when I see students that I’ve taught be successful in life. It makes me go, oh wow, I helped them achieve their goals (depending on what they’ve learned). But we’re not just teaching academic subjects, teachers actually teach life skills like organization and accountability. So in some way, it helps them achieve their goals. 

Q: Where did you go to college and what was your major?

A: I went to the University of California Riverside (UCR), and my major was physics. I earned a BS in physics. For graduate school, I went to Cal State LA and I got a master’s in physics there.

Q: What do you like most about Rosary so far?

A: The community. I think everyone’s been very friendly. The students have been very welcoming. When I greet someone they’re like, “How are you doing?” and “Good morning!” The community has been more than welcoming. 

Q: What’s your favorite movie and why?

A: My favorite movie? That’s a hard question to ask! I like movies a lot, so I have a lot of favorites. It’d probably be a comedy: I’m really into comedies. I would have to say “Princess Bride” is probably one of my favorite movies of all time. Also anything by Mel Brooks. 

Q: What’s your favorite thing about Physics?

A: My favorite thing about physics really is how nature is structured. How little we know about the structure of our universe and how it was composed. What fascinates me is how stars are formed. That’s what really piqued my interest when I was in elementary school. It was summer break, and my aunt was a teacher for kindergarten for like, 40 years. But in her first 10 years of teaching, she took me to the California Science Center and we saw this IMAX Video of the space shuttle. From there, I was like, I need to be a physicist. Space, and my fascination with space, made me want to know: how does it work?

Q: What’s your favorite food? Your least favorite food?

A: I really like all food a lot, so it’s hard to pick my favorite… If I had to pick a favorite, favorite food, like a type of cuisine, it’d probably be Mexican. It’s my heritage. For me, nothing beats a bowl of beans, like beans de la olla. My grandma used to make them and they are so good. I don’t have a least favorite food but I never was a fan of green beans. I like every other vegetable but… I just don’t take to green beans.

Q: What is an irrational fear of yours?

A: I’ve never had cavities, like, ever. So an irrational fear would be me getting a cavity or something along those lines. 

Q: Do you have any hobbies?

A: I like fishing. And I also have a telescope and like looking at the stars. It’s relaxing at night to see so much stuff up there. 

Q: Do you have a goal here at Rosary Academy?

A: To educate my students as best I can. And hopefully, they can look at the world in a different way after they take Physics. 

We are very happy to have Mr. Guerrero teach at Rosary Academy this school year. If you see him in the halls, be sure to say hi!