Do Students Prefer Online or On-Campus Learning?

Photo Credit: Rosary Academy

Alicia Ventura’ 21 and Natalie Kim’ 22 having fun while participating in class.

Adriana Arroyo, Staff Writer

Kate Rosales’ 23 taking notes in math class. Photo Credit: Kate Rosales

Rosary Royals have been learning from home since March 12, 2020, due to the Coronavirus pandemic.

After about six months of virtual learning, the Royals have been allowed to go back to school in a safer hybrid format. While many students have developed their own routines and have come to enjoy learning virtually, other students prefer on-campus learning and want to see their friends and teachers.

Some benefits of online learning include class schedules and being able to learn from the comfort of your own home. Rosary students start school at 9 a.m. on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday with four classes a day. On Wednesdays, school starts at 11 a.m. with two classes a day. Late start on Wednesdays allows students to catch up on homework and get organized before school. The school day ends at 1:10 p.m., and students have a good amount of time to do homework, especially if they are playing sports. Learning from home is also beneficial because students can choose a workspace where they feel focused and motivated. Students are also able to work at their own pace and stay comfortable while learning from home.

Emma Silva’ 23 writing thesis statements in her English class. Photo Credit: Ana Silva

Although some students enjoy learning from home, many want to return to on-campus learning. Some benefits of on-campus learning include being able to focus and participate more during class discussions, getting to ask questions and meet with teachers without having to send an email/schedule a virtual meeting, and learning alongside fellow classmates which encourages involvement in class.

Kate Rosales’ 23 prefers learning on-campus over learning online and shared, “I procrastinate less and I stay focused more when learning at school. I also miss my friends and fun things like spirit rallies.”

Sarah Badawi’ 22 prefers on-campus learning and is excited to go back to school because she can’t wait to see her friends and teachers. “On-campus learning allows me to connect with my teachers and classmates. The environment at Rosary is fun and motivates me to do the best I can do in school,” she said.

Isabella Capps’ 21 shared her preference on whether she enjoys online or on-campus learning better: “I enjoy online learning because I have more free time, but it can get a little boring. I’d have to say I prefer being on-campus with my friends and in a classroom with all my classmates.”

For the most part, Rosary students prefer on-campus learning and want to return to school (hopefully on September 22nd). The Royals look forward to learning with their friends and teachers again and being united with their Rosary community.