How Shadows Feel about Rosary

How Shadows Feel about Rosary

Rosary's Royal Ambassadors ready to take on the day with their shadows from St. Juliana's. Photo by Mrs. Reinbold.

Hailey McCarthy, Staff Writer

For those of you that do not know, Rosary holds events called “Royal for a Day,” where prospective students come to Rosary and hang out with some of the Royal Ambassadors.

Teachers love having shadows in class for a multitude of reasons. “Shadows are great! They are the best; I love shadows.” Mr. Bevins says enthusiastically, “I had a shadow write a poem once and it was really good.” The main reason Mr. Bevins enjoys having shadows in class is because, “I always remember them when they are in my class the following year. Sometimes they even remember what we talked about in class the day they shadowed.”

Over the years, Rosary has changed the way these shadow days work, but now they have it down to a science. Shadows arrive to campus about halfway through first block, play icebreakers, and get to know their ambassadors.

After receiving their complimentary drawstring backpacks with brochures and small gifts, the shadows go with their ambassadors to first break and the rest of their classes up until lunch. During lunch, the ambassadors and their shadows are treated to a Chick-fil-a lunch and head outside to hang out at the lunch tables. The day ends with a leadership workshop in the Assembly Hall and then they are free to go home.

Kamila Portero happy to be shadowing at Rosary. Photo by Mrs. Reinbold.

Brynn Beauchamp was not sure how she would like Rosary before she shadowed, but after spending the day with one of Rosary’s lovely ambassadors, Tara Fishman ’21, Brynn said gleefully, “I loved my shadow day! The rally was totally fun and crazy. Shadowing at Rosary was amazing and I felt like I belonged there. I already feel like a Royal! I definitely want to shadow again.”

Rosary attracts some students the moment they walk on campus and others after they spend the day with an ambassador. Regardless, Rosary’s welcoming environment and kind girls help take away the initial awkwardness and discomfort that ensues beginning high school.

For more information about shadow days or the admissions process, please email Ms. Doherty at [email protected].