Mrs. Hunt finalist for Diocesan Teacher of the Year!

Photo Provided by Mrs. Hunt

Mrs. Hunt receives her Teacher of the Year Finalist Award from Dr. Barisano at the Diocesan Awards Ceremony.

Ms. Barclay, Adviser

Mrs. Hunt, our Science Department Chair, is an icon of educational excellence; thus, it was a no-brainer that the Rosary Administration nominated her for the Elizabeth Ann Seaton Award, the Orange Diocese’s Teacher of the Year.

We see Mrs. Hunt walking the downstairs long hallway with purpose, sometimes wearing her white lab coat, which means something magical is happening— or is about to happen— in Room 2. The students are always in awe of her professionalism and approachability.

Senior Charlotte Jordan praised Mrs. Hunt: “She’s always very organized and makes really difficult subjects seem easy.”

Senior Alex Bohn shared, “I had Mrs. Hunt for the first 3 years of my high school experience, and each of those years she has been one of my biggest supporters, both academically and personally. I always love to come to her about my passions, and I couldn’t be more grateful to have such a supportive teacher. I’m so glad that she won this award that she was completely deserving of, and I can’t wait to see what she does in the future.”

Even ’22 Rosary Alumna Melissa Hanson emailed me when she heard the award: “Mrs. Hunt is one of those teachers that you simply cannot forget about. Even in college at the moment, I can look back and say that I loved every moment of her class. Her teaching style engages her student and makes science fun to learn (I have yet to have another teacher like her). She has an immense love for what she does and has impacted me so much that I am a Biology major because of her.

Rosary’s principal Mr. Basford also appreciates Mrs. Hunt’s gift: “Her love of science is so strong that students cannot help but recognize that she wants them to grasp and understand the subject and come to, if not a love, a recognition of the importance of the study of science in their world.”

He credits Mrs. Hunt with helping to bring Rosary its state-of-the-art Anatomage digital dissection table and pointed out the many other hats Mrs. Hunt has worn (or still wears) on this campus: “[Mrs. Hunt] has served as our WCEA/WASC accreditation chair, as a science department chair, as the faculty representative to the administrative board, and as one of our teacher mentors. She is always ready to step in and help when needed.”

Mrs. Hunt’s close colleague Ms. Lanctot would also not stand for having her praise left out of this article: “Mrs. Hunt has not only affected the children in her classroom, she has assisted in the education of students in every classroom on this campus with her mentorship of our faculty. Sam is such an open, kind hearted person who is willing to set down whatever she is doing and help you, no matter the simplicity/stupidity of your problem. Trust me, I have pushed those boundaries. Her quick-witted and affable nature mixed with the brain of a biology and chemistry genius have made her into an absolute super hero on our campus.”

I could keep going with the student, administrator, and colleague praise. The responses were endless, but what about the words from the queen herself?

How did you feel when you received this award?
I felt very honored! It felt really good to be recognized and supported for all the work I do!

How long have you been teaching? Where have you taught before?
This is my 25th year teaching! I spent my first 17 years at St. John Bosco High School. And now, I’ve been at Rosary for 8 years!

Mrs. Hunt, Rosary’s Department Chair of Science. (Photo Provided by Mrs. Hunt)

Why do you teach at Rosary?
I really love teaching in Catholic Schools. Eight years ago, I was looking for a change and the job at Rosary opened up. I was nervous to go from all-boys to all-girls, but it has been such a wonderful decision and I’ve never looked back! The wonderful students, faculty, and staff here at Rosary are what keep me teaching! I love my job!

What makes a good science teacher in your opinion?
I think a good science teacher of course needs to have a vast amount of knowledge up in their brain, but most importantly needs to be able to communicate and teach that knowledge to students who have never learned these things before. If you can make it understandable, and hopefully relate it to things they see in their everyday lives, that’s what makes the difference! Oh, and a lot of patience and kindness to answer each and every question. Science classrooms should be full of questions and a good teacher should love answering them! And if she/he doesn’t know the answer, look it up together! I learn new things all the time!

Mrs. Hunt’s certificate for being named a finalist for the Diocesan Teacher of the Year Award. (Photo Provided by Mrs. Hunt)

Who are some other teachers you’ve admired either in your life growing up or anywhere else? Why?
I admire and have based most of my teaching style after a professor in college named Dr. Bernie Gallagher. He was incredibly knowledgeable, but it was his style and how he approached the classroom that I admired most! His connection with his students was and still is always my inspiration!
As for my colleagues, I have learned a lot from all of them over the years! I like to watch different teachers and pick up good ideas in their classrooms! For example, my science department members constantly inspire me with new lab ideas to incorporate and content to discuss! And Mrs. Kappe inspires me to find the happy in each and every day!

Every day, we are grateful for Mrs. Hunt teaching at Rosary. Her intelligence, grace, and expertise in the classroom are a gift to the school.