Healing your inner child

Alex+Hutchisons+22+Squishmallow+collection%21+

Photo Credit: Alex Hutchison '22

Alex Hutchison’s ’22 Squishmallow collection!

Chelsea Bartilad, Staff Writer

When we were little, I’m sure some of us were scared to grow up and no longer be kids. But what if I told you that you still have the child you once were inside of you? 

According to research, the inner child is a reflection of who we used to be as children. Even as we grow up, that part of ourselves stays with us, usually in the form of how we handle emotions and challenges. 

In an article from Healthline, research psychologist Dr. Diana Raab states that allowing yourself to partake in the “joys of childhood can be an excellent way of dealing with challenging times.” 

Additionally, healing your inner child could also help heal old wounds. There are times during childhood when you may have had an experience (whether minor or major) that negatively affected you, which can stick with you as you get older. 

So what can you do to heal your inner child? 

There are many ways to heal your inner child, so I’m going to provide three ways to do it. But before we begin, I would like to give a quick disclaimer: I’m not a professional psychologist, just a high school senior interested in sharing self-care tips.

Now without further ado, here are some ways to help heal your inner child: 

• Do your favorite childhood activities

Whether it be blowing bubbles or running out in the rain, doing things your childhood self enjoyed (or would have enjoyed) can be helpful for your mental health. My friend Alex Hutchison ’22 said collecting plushies and stuffed animals again has helped her get through school this past semester, especially with college apps. Recently, I started rereading one of my favorite books when I was in elementary school and it’s done wonders for my mood. 

• Acknowledge your flaws 

When you’re little, you’re always told to be the best version of yourself and do well in whatever you do. But what about the times when you mess up? What about the times when you’re not at your best? Although it can be difficult, it’s important to acknowledge that you’re not perfect. What I recommend doing is writing down all the things about yourself that you think aren’t perfect and why you don’t like them. It can be difficult, but by doing so you’re able to figure out why it bothers you and come to terms with it, and if possible, allow you to improve it. 

Writing your thoughts down in a journal is a great way of healing your inner child. (Photo taken from Google Images via the Creative Common License)

• Be kind to yourself

This is going to sound really cliche, but self-love is important, and a lot of people can have a hard time with how they view themselves. So what you can do is say or write a few reminders down that you believe your younger self needed to hear, such as “I know you’re doing your best,” “I love seeing you enjoy your passions,” and “I’m sorry for the hurtful things I said to you.” 

Healing your inner child is a form of self-care, and we all have our own ways of doing it. But even as we get older, we’ll still have that child inside of us, so remember to take of them and to take care of yourself.