Class of 2017 Check-in

Molly Renze, Editor-in-Chief

As first semester comes to a close at Rosary, college is on a lot of students’ minds. But, what about the class of 2017? How have they been getting along during their first semester? The Royal Reporter decided to interview some of our alumnae of 2017 to see how college has been treating them.

Stephanie Weissig ’17

School: USD

Major: Communications with a minor in Education

Aidan Crowley ’17

School: Notre Dame

Major: Neuroscience, minoring in Linguistics, and on the pre-med track

Jenna Steins ’17

School: Cornell

Major: Human Development and Pre-med track

Julianne Holmquist ’17

School: Fordham University

Major: English with a minor in Spanish

RR: What was the coolest part of living on campus?

Stephanie Weissig ’17: Having independence and just living with all the new people I’ve met and become friends with is probably the coolest part of living on campus.

Aidan Crowley ’17: The best part about living on campus is all the friends I’ve made in my dorm! We study, eat, and hang out together all the time- it’s like being constantly surrounded with your best friends.

Jenna Steins ’17: Living with friends. It often seems like a really big sleepover.

Julianne Holmquist ’17: I love being able to walk to class in 5-10 minutes. When I was at Rosary, I had a 40 minute commute, so it’s a BIG difference. Also living in a building with all my friends is so fun.

J. Holmquist
Julianne enjoys a snowy day in New York!

RR: What is difficult about living away from home?

Stephanie Weissig ’17: Luckily I don’t live too far away from home, but I definitely miss my dogs and my family at times. Having to get groceries and paying for food can sometimes get frustrating too, so I miss having the availability of easily grabbing food at home.

Aidan Crowley ’17: What I miss the most about home is the beach! It’s also hard being away from family, but FaceTime helps a lot.

Jenna Steins ’17: I definitely missed living at home more than I thought, but it became easier to adjust. It’s the little comfort things that you don’t realize you miss that you really do miss.

Julianne Holmquist ’17: For me it’s hard missing family events. I miss everyone a lot. Also sometimes I just wanna see my dog.

RR: Describe the biggest differences in course load between senior year at Rosary and freshman year in college.

Stephanie Weissig ’17: I would say the biggest difference between senior year’s course load in high school and freshman year’s course load in college is midterms. I’ve noticed that there isn’t a ton of homework and not an overwhelming amount of tests, but midterms pretty much cover everything you’ve learned throughout the semester, and it’s a big change from tests in high school!

Aidan Crowley ’17: The biggest differences in course load are that you’re not in class all the time in college, and you only have at most around five classes instead of the seven at Rosary. This means a lot more self-studying, and I’d say the biggest jump is the amount of reading, but it’s definitely manageable.

Jenna Steins ’17: The biggest difference in course load is that your homework in class prepares you for tests and finals. You have to schedule study time and kind of create your own homework that prepares you throughout the semester so you aren’t cramming last minute. Time management is definitely a really big issue.

Julianne Holmquist ’17: I’d say college is challenging, and high school is grueling at least for me. My schedule was stacked with AP’s, and theatre kept me really busy, so I spent pretty much every waking minute trying to get everything done. In college you have more space to breathe, but the work is challenging, and you have to put in a good amount of effort to do well.

RR: Why have you selected the major you are studying?

Stephanie Weissig ’17: I plan on majoring in Communications with a minor in Education because Communications as a major allows me to explore Marketing, Public Relations, and Advertising, and it doesn’t limit me to one specific path. I plan on one day becoming an elementary school teacher, so I feel that a minor in Education will definitely help me achieve that.

Aidan Crowley ’17: I’m majoring in Neuroscience, minoring in Linguistics and on the pre-med track. I’m really excited at the prospect of entering the medical field because can combine my love of science with my passion for helping others.

Jenna Steins ’17: My major is Human Development with a pre-med track. I like this major because it encompasses biology and psychology, and makes it more applicable to real world problems and heath issues with humans.

Julianne Holmquist ’17: I’m studying English with a minor in Spanish. I’ve always loved to write, and I really have a passion for language. Fordham has a very strong English programs and a lot of connections with publishers in New York.

A. Crowley
Aidan takes a study break to celebrate with her friends at a formal dance.

RR: What advice do you have for students planning to commit soon?

Stephanie Weissig ’17: For students who plan to commit soon, be confident in the school you choose! Consider all of your options, make sure you’ve done your research, and make sure you really like the school you choose for the right reasons. Choose a school where you know you’ll be the most comfortable throughout your college experience.

Aidan Crowley ’17: For anyone deciding between schools, I am a firm believer in the idea that the whole college process works out how it’s supposed to. I never thought I’d end up at Notre Dame, and now I can honestly say that I can’t see myself being happier anywhere else.

Jenna Steins ’17: Advice I have is definitely make sure you feel like you can fit into the environment. These people will be your friends in college, so you want to make sure you can see yourself living there. Make sure it has all the extracurricular activities you are looking for.

Julianne Holmquist ’17: If you’re deciding on a college, it is important to pick a place where you are happy and comfortable. Through all the advice you are getting from others right now, it is hard to decide what you want for yourself, so just find some time to clear your head for a while. Kairos is great for that.

RR: What was the most surprising thing your first semester in college?

Stephanie Weissig ’17: The most surprising thing for me was how quickly I became friends with the people I met within my first few weeks of school. It’s crazy to think about coming from Rosary where we pretty much know everything about each other, to a school with thousands of new people who I’ve become friends with in such a short amount of time.

Aidan Crowley ’17: The most surprising thing was how quickly I got so close with my new friends. Because we’re together all the time we’re always hanging out, and it’s so nice to be surrounded by so many like-minded individuals who are also super cool.

Jenna Steins ’17: I’ve learned a lot more from non-academic settings than I thought I would. living on my own has taught me a lot more than I thought.

Julianne Holmquist ’17: Most surprising thing: MANSPLAINERS. Bevins tries to warn you about them but they’re everywhere

J. Weisseig
Stephanie poses with her new cheer team!

RR: What’s your average day like?

Stephanie Weissig ’17: An average day for me consists of going to either 2 or 3 classes a day, depending on which day it is, sometimes going off campus to get lunch, going to the beach, or exploring San Diego, studying and doing homework, going to practice for Dance Team, and studying some more! In college I’ve realized I have a lot more free time to work out, drive off campus to somewhere new, or take time to relax and watch Netflix so I try to take advantage of that time as much as possible.

Aidan Crowley ’17: My average day is a mix of classes, studying in the library, and hanging out with friends. I’m also involved in some fun activities like handbell chior, the club tennis team, the American Medical Women’s Association, the yearbook, and the student ambassador program.

Jenna Steins ’17: My average school day is going to class and in between classes I’ll study. I try not to go back to my dorm until I finish my homework and then I grab dinner with friends. After, I either go somewhere with them or just hang out at my dorm. At night I have cheer practice from 9-11pm no night practices are an adjustment.

Julianne Holmquist ’17: In an average day I have a morning class and an afternoon class. I try to wake up between 7 and 9 and eat breakfast before class. I spend my afternoons studying with friends and depending on the night I’ll go to rehearsals or different club meetings.

J. Steins
Jenna shows off her signature flips in cheer practice.

RR: What do you miss about Rosary? How does it feel to be in a co-ed environment?

Stephanie Weissig ’17: Being in a co-ed environment isn’t all too different and I personally don’t think about it too often, but it’s different to be around guys in school! I miss being around a lot of my old friends every single day at Rosary, and I miss the convenience of not having to walk across an entire campus to get to class every morning. I also know that as Red and Gold is coming up next semester, I’m definitely going to miss being a part of that experience!

Aidan Crowley ’17: What I miss most about Rosary is the people, especially the close relationships with teachers. However, dorms at Notre Dame are single-gender, so my all-girls dorm literally feels like another Rosary. Since ND is a Catholic school, I feel like a lot of the tenets of Rosary are emulated here. I never think twice about speaking up in class and it’s nice having a mix of different people to bounce ideas off of.

Jenna Steins ’17: I miss the relationships between teachers and students at Rosary. Being in into lecture halls makes me miss the one on one teacher to student interaction. I also miss going to Catholic school, it’s definitely harder than I thought to grow in your faith in college.

Julianne Holmquist ’17: I will miss watching movies in class the most. Watching a sad movie with 30 girls who are all commenting on it is the greatest thing. I also miss the teachers, rosary adoration, and my friends. My campus is 70% female and I love on an all girls floor, so sometimes it is easy to forget that it is co-ed. But like I said the mansplainers show up in your classes a lot.

As one can see, these Royals have truly gotten comfortable at their new homes. They are continuing to use their Rosary education in their new surroundings and are making our community proud.

• Class of 2017 Check-in

College: After You’re Accepted

• Class of 2017 Check-in

Senior Spotlight: Christine Marie Johnnie

• Class of 2017 Check-in

Mother’s Day

• Class of 2017 Check-in

In-N-Out V. Five Guys

• Class of 2017 Check-in

2018 Faley Games

• Class of 2017 Check-in

Wish Week

• Class of 2017 Check-in

Juniors’ Springtime Hunt for Colleges

• Class of 2017 Check-in

Summer Lovin’

• Class of 2017 Check-in

Donuts for Days

• Class of 2017 Check-in

The Newest Edition to the Stegink Family!

Class of 2017 Check-in