Rosary Varsity Basketball advances to state semis

Rosary Varsity Basketball against Viewpoint game.

Colleen Schmitt and Kimberly Gallo, Staff Writers

Rosary’s Varsity Basketball team played their first game of the state tournament against Viewpoint High school on Thursday, Feb. 3.

Rosary started the game off on the right foot winning the tip-off and with Ava Dominguez ‘23 scoring first. The first quarter went well with the Royals leading the game 19-10. 

The second quarter did not go as smoothly as the first. The Royals were struggling to work together and focus. However, Mary Larson ‘23 and Allison Clarke ‘24 made a couple three pointers to help the team maintain their lead. At halftime the Royals were ahead 29-26. 

Coming out into the second half of the game, the Royals looked strong and determined. During the third quarter, the Royals really started to pull ahead and put some pressure on Viewpoint. Allison Clarke made a three pointer towards the end of the third quarter with the Royals up 47-32. 

The game ended with the Royals winning 56-42. Towards the end of the game, the girls were really working together, showing why they’re the first ranked team in their division.

Royals are on the lead against Viewpoint.
(Photo Provided by Colleen Schmitt)

Senior Kaylee Byon shared: “It was our first game back as a team in a week and a half, but we came together and got the W. That’s all that matters. Always proud of my team and what they accomplish. Just hoping to clean up all the rough patches we had in this game and move on to the next one.”

Varsity head basketball coach Dr. Yoon stated, “We definitely had some issues scoring last night, but our defense kept the score low enough to get the win. We know how tough this road to the state championships will be with every team capable of beating us. We have to keep trying to improve and take every game as if it was our last.” 

When asked about moving onto the next round Mary Larson ‘23 said: “I’m very excited to be moving on in state although it gets more stressful as the games get harder. I believe in my team and the hard work we put in will pay off.”

After the Royals’ win against Viewpoint, they will be moving on to the semifinals of the state tournament. Come out and support the Rosary Basketball team this Saturday against Windward High School at 6 p.m. in the Karcher Center. If you attend this game, your Red or Gold team will earn points for your team!