Adventures in Music Directing

Pat Bromilow-Downing.

A picture from another Sound of Music production, and a show that Mr. Rodriguez greatly admires. Photo via Google under the Creative Commons License

Giovana "Jojo" Watson, Staff Writer

Auditions and callbacks for Trinitas’ upcoming production of “The Sound of Music” were this week, and there was a new face at the directors’ table. Rosary Performing Arts teacher Mr. Rodriguez ’16 is taking over as the music director for this production, and I was able to ask him a few questions about his expectations for the production.

Q: What are you most looking forward to with this show?

“I believe that ‘The Sound of Music’ has a powerful and timeless message when done right. I am most looking forward to the process of discovering what that message is and how best to convey it throughout the rehearsal process. I am also looking forward to seeing how people respond to the show. I would very much like to make this show meaningful and memorable, especially for the seniors since this is their last show.”

Q: What is your favorite song from the show?

“That is a very difficult question as there are so many to choose from. However, I think I am going to have to say ‘Edelweiss.’ While the melody is simple, I believe it is the most powerful song in the entire musical. I also love the significance it carries both on and off stage as it was the last song Rogers and Hammerstein ever wrote together.”

Q: Do think music direction will be different than teaching?

“Yes and no. I am fully aware that directing a musical comes with its own unique challenges. However, the process of teaching the music, performance, and expression are all things I’m sure will be very much the same, just in a different context. Whether it’s Choir or Musical Theater, it’s all chaos in the end and I live for it.”

Q: How do you feel about teaching both boys and girls instead of all-girls?

“I don’t particularly feel one way or another. I think it will be nice to have that lower end of the vocal range to work with for once. It will be interesting getting to know the guys as I am sure there’s a lot about their high school experience that has likely not changed since I have been there.”

Be on the lookout for more articles regarding “The Sound of Music,” and don’t forget to buy your tickets for the performances on Thursday, May 5, 2022 at 7:00 p.m., Friday, May 6, 2022 at 7:00 p.m., Saturday, May 7, 2022 at 7:00 p.m., and Sunday, May 8, 2022 at 2:00 p.m.