Varsity basketball Trinity League

Ava Dominguez22 taking a shot during the game.

(Photo provided by Kaylee Byon '22

Ava Dominguez’22 taking a shot during the game.

Chelsea Bartilad, Staff Writer

On Jan. 6, 2022, Rosary Academy’s Varsity Basketball team played their first Trinity League game of the season against Santa Margarita High School. They followed up with their game against JSerra Catholic High School on Jan. 11.

Although the Eagles from Santa Margarita were in the lead 16-8 during the first quarter, the Royals came back and made it a 29-28 by the second quarter. During the third quarter, the Royals outscored the EaglesĀ  26-9, taking lead with a score of 51-37. The Trinity League opener ended with the Royals winning with a score of 63-47.

During the game against JSerra, senior Kaylee Byon made a three pointer right before the end of the first quarter, and the Royals were in the lead 12-9. By the end of the second quarter, the Royals were up 27-14. After making a three pointer, Kaylani Barker ’22 brought the score to an even 50 points, ending the third quarter with the Royals leading 50-22.

By the end of the game, the Royals won with a score of 64-44.

Kaylee Byon ’22 described her thoughts on the games: “My team brought their all, and it resulted in a win in both games. I am extremely proud of them, and I know they will do their all to win league.”

The basketball team has an upcoming game tonight against Mater Dei High School. Be sure to come out and support!