What I’m thankful for

(Photo Provided by Alicia Dofelmier)

Kristine, Grace, Brooke, Emily, and I share a laugh while taking Homecoming pictures.

Alicia Dofelmier, Features Editor

This Thanksgiving it’s hard to pick just one thing to be grateful for since there are so many things to be grateful for. But the first one that comes to mind is my untraditional high school experience. I am grateful for the fact that I got to spend two years at Connelly and two years at Rosary. But don’t get me wrong, I’m not grateful that Connelly closed. I’m grateful that I got to experience both Connelly and Rosary and be able to take advantage of all the wonderful opportunities and friendships that each school presented to me. 

When I first started high school I had no idea what was in store. I had no idea my high school, Cornelia Connelly, the high school I had wanted to go to since second grade, would close. I had no idea a global pandemic would take place. 

A picture from my sophomore homecoming. (Photo Provided by Alicia Dofelmier)

Going into high school I didn’t know a lot of things, but maybe that was just because I was a baby freshman. Either way, I knew I wanted to take advantage of every opportunity that came my way. So, I joined advanced choir, took lots of honors and AP classes, made relationships with teachers, joined Mock Trial, and joined Trinitas, formerly Tri-School, theatre. I made new friends at Connelly, friends that I still have. I met Brooke Medina ’22 who is one of the funniest people I’ve ever met. I met Emily Arcero ’22 who is one of the sweetest people I know. I’ve met Skylar Cooper and Kristine Quintanar ’22, two amazing people. I’ve met Grace Finley ’22 and Holly Barragan ’22, two people who I know I can count on.  I made relationships with amazing teachers and counselors such as Ms. Torres and Mrs. Tran Ryan who have both helped me grow so much. And lastly, I made amazing memories, such as when I won my first Mock Trial match, when I performed in Oklahoma, or when I performed at Connelly’s annual Christmas concert. 

And then in my sophomore year, I, along with all of my classmates received word that Connelly would be closing at the end of the 2019-2020 school year. And then to make things even worse a global pandemic happened. When Connelly closed there was a lot of uncertainty that I had to face. I knew I would have to start an entirely new high school, make new friends, and have new relationships with teachers. Was I scared? Yes. Was I also excited? Also yes. 

A few of my Trinitas friends smile during freshman year banquet. (Photo Provided by Alicia Dofelmier)

When I started Rosary it was unfortunately on Zoom since Covid-19 was still a thing. However, I still made sure to take advantage of all the new opportunities that were given to me. I joined Campus Ministry, PAL, Ambassadors, kept taking Honors and AP classes, made new friends, and new relationships with teachers.

Luckily most of my class from Connelly transferred with me and I already knew people at Rosary due to Trinitas. So I was able to keep making amazing memories with my old friends and make new friends. Here at Rosary I met Belle Dascanio ’22, an amazing person who I know I can always count on. I got to know Keira Sarni ’22, the best and kindest volleyball player ever. I grew closer to Brianna Dreyer ’22, an amazing dancer and amazing person. I met Elena Walz ’22, who I know is going to do amazing things. I got to know Katie Thomas ’22 better, who introduced me to the world of Rosary as we shared all seven classes together last year. I got to know Grace Horeczko ’22 better, who is an amazing and sweet actress and person. I met Lauren Cottrell ’22, who is such a great singer and who taught me to always have my books for AP Lit with me. I met Anna DiCrisi ’22, who is one of the most energetic and talented people that I know. I also made new relationships with amazing teachers such as Ms. Barclay ’94 who has taught me so much. And I made even more amazing memories with both my friends from Connelly and my friends from Rosary through Trinitas theatre, Kairos, and just having fun at lunch.

My friends and I pose before sophomore Winter Formal. (Photo Provided by Alicia Dofelmier)

So this Thanksgiving I’m thankful for my untraditional high school experience. I’m grateful for all of the opportunities that both Connelly and Rosary gave me. I’m grateful for all of the friends and relationships with teachers that I’ve made. I’m grateful for the opportunity to be a part of Trinitas Theatre. While I may have had no idea what to expect going into high school I am incredibly grateful for the way my high school experience turned out.

Katie and I pose for the camera before a Once Upon a Mattress performance. (Photo Provided by Alicia Dofelmier)

I along with the other Kairos student leaders smile for a group picture. (Photo provided by Alicia Dofelmier)

Anna and I share a hug before our last performance of Once Upon a Mattress. (Photo Provided by Alicia Dofelmier)
The cast of Oklahoma poses for a quick picture. (Photo Provided by Alicia Dofelmier)