GCU Getaway

Me smiling with my future GCU family before the basketball game. Photo Credit: Brooke Kizziar ’22

Brooke Kizziar, Sports Editor

On Friday, Nov. 12, I went on a discovery trip to Grand Canyon University. I cannot even begin to describe how amazing my experience was at GCU.

I had been nervously anticipating for Friday morning to arrive. I set my alarm for 4:00 a.m. to leave for John Wayne Airport. There was no one I knew that was also attending this trip, so I had basically gone alone and was worried about not clicking with anyone. When I arrived, I clicked almost immediately with a group of people from Yorba Linda High School, and I felt so much more comfortable going on this trip.

Once we landed, we all eagerly waited for the shuttle to pick us up to embark on our drive to GCU. Once we arrived, we were given room assignments and met our roommates for the weekend. I was able to stay with one of my friends and two girls from the East Coast.

The first event of the day was an informative presentation about the certain major we were interested in taking in the fall semester. I have always been interested in the college of business, majoring in marketing, or sports and entertainment management. After the presentation, we were given free time to get food, roam the campus, and experience the college life first hand. I have a few friends attending GCU as freshmen this year, so I had time to catch up with them and hear all about their experience at GCU. They only had positive things to say which confirmed my decision even more.

Later that evening was the home basketball game. I heard the rumors of the school spirit at GCU, but it exceeded my expectations. The student section is known as the “GCU havocs.” There was jumping, flashing lights, smoke machines, crowd surfing, mosh pitting, and this was all before the game even started. School spirit is such an important factor of the college life to me, and I already felt like I was apart of the havoc family.

The next day, I woke up super early to sneak a trip to Dutch Bros coffee (aka the best coffee in the world). My friends and I were so sad to leave. We did not want to go home because GCU had already felt like our second home.

I had some doubts about committing to GCU and was nervous about picking the wrong school. After this weekend, GCU is not only the school I will be attending in the fall, but it will also be my new home. I fell in love with GCU when I toured in April, and now I’m even more connected to the campus. I cannot wait to call this place home next fall!

Lopes up!

GCU Havocs in the student section of the mens basketball game.
Photo Credit: Brooke Kizziar ’22
GCU students eagerly running to the basketball game.
Photo Credit: Brooke Kizziar ’22