Welcome to Iowa!

(Photo credit: Skylar Cooper)

Here is where the school’s mascot stands in front of a small lake.

Skylar Cooper, Staff Writer

A few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to visit Forest City, Iowa. Located between the state capital Des Moines and Minnesota, this small-town reveals wonders for its school: Waldorf University.

This is the city of Des Moines that I visited for three days. (Photo credit: Skylar Cooper)

Now I have to say, this town is way different than South California. The average temperature is around 30 degrees, which is WAY different than the average 70 here. But, the town is beautiful there. The sky is clear, the air is clean, and the open air feels crisper than here at home.

Forest City is a small town and the nearest Target and Walmart is over 40 minutes away. Crazy right? But the town has its general essentials: a grocery store, Dollar Tree, and gas stations. It’s funny because brand names and stores are different over there, you know halfway across the country. A Dollar Tree here is called Dollar General there, and a supermarket like Ralphs or Stater brothers is called Hy-Vee. I found that really interesting when I went on a tour of the city. I also got the chance to walk across the Winnebago River in Pammel Park.

Winnebago river is beautiful and is an escape from life. (Photo credit: Skylar Cooper)

I toured the university with a friend of mine; for a small town, the college is huge. There are multiple dorm halls (the main building and other small ones for specific majors). I especially liked the Atrium, which is a big student hang out spot. Since I went around Halloween, the place was full of decorations, like tombstones and painted pumpkins. The staff and students were very friendly, and I truly felt welcomed onto the campus. The main building, where most of all the classes take place, I sat in on a history class where I learned more about World War II. The next class was advanced biology, and that day’s lesson was about DNA and cancer cells. Later in the evening, I went to the Hansen Fieldhouse and watched the men’s wrestling team compete against Graceland.

Overall, this trip really helped me determine my decision for college. I enjoyed the campus life and could truly see myself in the school. I am grateful for the opportunity and excited to see what next year has in store for me. I encourage everyone to go out of their comfort zone to see new places.