Welcoming Ms. Dorsett!

Photo provided by: Ms. Dorsett

Ms. Dorsett smiling for a photo.

Lauren Cottrell and Kim Pham

This year Rosary Academy welcomes our new Campus Ministry Associate Ms. Dorsett. We had the opportunity to interview Ms. Dorsett to introduce her to the Rosary community.

Q: Where did you grow up?

A: I grew up in Southern Maryland in a pretty rural area with the Chesapeake Bay about 10 minutes away.

Q: What is your family like?

A: I’m the oldest of three; I have a sister who’s a sophomore at West Virginia University and a brother who’s a senior in high school. We have a lot of fun with our parents, playing board games, traveling together, and chatting over dinner. I’m very grateful to have my family; they’re the best and most fun support system ever!

Ms. Dorsett posing for a photo with her family. Photo provided by Ms. Dorsett.

Q: What are some of your interests/hobbies?

A: I love music! I like watching live music, playing instruments, singing, and learning new things in music theory. I also love exploring new places, especially unique restaurants and beaches (perfect in CA!). I like being active, whether through YouTube workouts, yoga, walking, or biking.

Q: What’s your favorite color?

A: It changes every few years, right now it’s red.

Q: What’s your favorite movie?

A: “Sound of Music”! It’s just the perfect movie.

Q: Who’s your favorite Youtuber?

A: I love Cody Ko, especially when he’s with Kelsey Kreppel or Noel Miller.

Q: How was faith incorporated into your family life?

A: Faith has been an important part of my family my entire life. I’ve always gone to Mass with my family and prayed with them at meals. As we’ve gotten older, the five of us have been able to bring our personal experiences and opinions on faith to our frequent discussions around the dinner table. With my dad studying to be a deacon for the past three years, my journey through faith in college, and the rest of my family exploring and learning new things, these discussions are really lively!

Q: Favorite song?

A: Gosh, that’s so hard! Probably “Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes” by Paul Simon at the moment.

Ms. Dorsett with her friends at Catholic University of America.
Photo provided by Ms. Dorsett.

Q: What college did you attend and what major?

A: I went to The Catholic University of America (which sounds much fancier than it is) in Washington, DC. I studied music education.

Q: How did you keep faith in your life in college?

A: I had lots of great friends that encouraged me in my faith in college. My college had so many opportunities to enrich my faith that I took advantage of: adorations, Masses, clubs for different types of prayers, and lectures about faith and current events. Some of my friends weren’t Catholic, which challenged me to think deeply about my faith. My junior and senior year, I lived in a community of 11 students, where we ministered to freshmen and put on events for them. Our community of 11 lived together, worked together, and prayed together, which was a great support system for my faith and life at college. I’m grateful for the unique and vast opportunities Catholic University gave me to engage, grow, and learn about my faith.

Q: What brought you to Rosary?

A: I am at Rosary as part of a year of service with the St. Joseph Worker Program. I applied to a few service programs, but ultimately, I wanted to work in campus ministry and I wanted to be in California, far away from where I lived and went to school. I loved the mission of the St. Joseph Worker Program and Rosary Academy, so I’m very happy to be here for a year.

We are very excited to welcome Ms. Dorsett to Rosary and can’t wait to see what she will bring to the community!