Comedy Sportz is back

Comedy Sportz ‘act-letes” playing a round of New Choice, one of the team’s favorite games. Photo Credit: Giovana Watson

Giovana "Jojo" Watson, Staff Writer

On Friday, Sept. 10 at 3:30 p.m., Servite and Rosary students came together at the Servite Theater to participate in the first in-person Comedy Sportz workshop in over a year.

Comedy Sportz is an improv game that is very similar to the television show “Whose Line is it Anyway?” During the family-friendly match, “act-letes” compete against each other for points. The players challenge each other with jokes, puns, and scenes, and the audience decides which team deserves the points by clapping and cheering for who they thought did the best.

For example, one of the many jokes someone might say: “185 bees walk into a bar and the bartender says, ‘I’m sorry, we’re closed.’ Then the bees say ‘That really stings!'” And if the audience cheered loudest for this team, they would get the points. The team with the highest amount of points at the end of the match wins.

Like many after-school activities, Comedy Sportz has been entirely virtual since last year, and this was the team’s first time performing in person since the beginning of the pandemic.

Sophomore Katriel Cenabre, a returner to the team, said, “I thought that the Comedy Sportz workshop was super fun! I’ve really missed having Comedy Sportz in-person, since last year we were entirely online. The team managers were amazing, and I loved seeing the people who were interested get to experience the chaos that is Comedy Sportz.”

Comedy Sportz co-manager Brooke Medina ’22 stated, “The Comedy Sportz orientation was definitely a success! It was so amazing to see so many new faces from Rosary and Servite as well as seeing the returners all having such a fun time. Overall, I am so excited for the new year and I am so grateful to have an amazing team!”

Practices will start Friday, Sept. 17 at 3:30 p.m. at the Servite Theater. If you’re interested in joining the team, applications can be found in Rosary’s front office or in the Trinitas office at Servite. Applications are due Friday, Sept. 17. More information about upcoming matches is to come.