Symbolic transformations

Seniors Lily Demman, Daly Holman, Kate Curry, and Elizabeth Walloch (left to right) enjoying social time and snacks on the new patio furniture. Photo Credit: Anna DiCrisi

Anna DiCrisi, Staff Writer

Another beautiful day on Rosary’s campus. It’s around 12:15 p.m.; the students are talking; the sun is shining; the tables are gone—

Wait. The tables are gone?!

That’s right, avid Rosary followers, the bright red circles in the downstairs quad are missing in action. In their place are groups of comfortable reclining lawn chairs, cushioned patio furniture, and umbrellas.

The absence of tables from Rosary Academy is somewhat of a symbolic transformation for the school. At any all-girls’ school, there is always speculation of occasional drama or problems between friend groups. This is normal. The drama at Rosary is actually pretty minimal, and everyone genuinely gets along; however, the tables did sometimes bring a sense of “Who’s sitting with whom?” to an otherwise very inclusive school.

I remember when I shadowed five years ago, my ambassador told me that the tables were one of the most important parts of Rosary: it was how you made friends and how you “fit in” within the community. Essentially, it aligned with the high school stereotypes of teenage movies where if you didn’t sit with the crowd, you had no chance of being “in” with the crowd. There was only enough room for eight or ten people at a table, and if there wasn’t a place for you, it could feel like a physical representation of not fitting in anywhere. Looking back now, I can see how completely ridiculous that was, but as a freshman, I was honestly intimidated.

The first day of school freshman year, I had no idea where to sit. I felt like I had to have a table somewhere to have approval from others. Because of this, I sat at a random table with students whom I would not become close friends with. I felt out of place.

One day, there was an event at Rosary and we had to sit on the lawn. With no restrictions on where to sit or whom to sit with, I decided to sit on the grass with a girl I met in religion. Now she is my best friend Grace Horeczko.

I think this change is for the better. I think freshmen will make more friends; most importantly, I think they will be free to be themselves.

Grace says, “I used to really like [the tables], it was like the system I always knew how to follow. But now that they’re gone it’s like having more freedom so to speak. I feel like I don’t have to sit at the same place just so we keep the table. We can sit on the lawn if we want to or in the back of the school or underneath the stairs. So I’d say it’s pretty nice, but I do miss the good old times every now and then.”

Sophia Kondo ‘22 said, “It allows for more spontaneity. It’s a lot more casual, and it lets anyone sit and talk to anyone. There isn’t a section for seniors or a section for juniors. It’s open to everyone, and it allowed for more connection after a year where that was hard to come by.”

As girls pass through Rosary, the school changes with them. Cherished traditions remain, and new ones are formed. Ultimately, the new lunchtime seating has brought an extra feeling of community to the red and gold campus, and Rosary girls are opening up their friendships and their personalities like never before.