PAL Award Recipient, Mrs. Huerta

Mrs. Huerta with her PAL Advisor Perseverance award. Photo by Mrs. Reinbold

Tina Enright, Staff Writer

On Tuesday, May 4th, Mrs. Nicola Huerta ‘94 was awarded the PAL Advisor Perseverance Award from the Orange County Department of Education. This is a wonderful honor recognizing Mrs. Huerta’s efforts to support and keep the Rosary community connected despite all this year’s challenges. 

This award was given to remarkable PAL (Peer Assistance and Leadership) advisors who have continued to find innovative ways to create a positive school environment and support schoolwide student engagement opportunities, despite the challenges caused by COVID-19.

When asked what she loves most about Pal, Mrs. Huerta shared, “I love the students I get the honor and privilege of working with. They genuinely care about others and Rosary. I love that they desire to help others because they truly want people to be happy, and they don’t do it for any recognition or acknowledgment. They are like little secret angels on campus.”

“PAL is important to me for so many reasons,” Mrs. Huerta continued. “Not only do PAL members serve their school and community, but also, they are learning life skills themselves. I feel the communication skills and conflict mediation skills that are taught in PAL are extremely important in working with others. I think the peer helping peer model is important and can be very effective in creating a positive school environment.  I feel the more positivity we can spread around our own campus, then it will eventually spread to the outside community. Creating change has to start small and it begins with our own wonderful women of Rosary!

The President of PAL and ASB Executive Treasurer Caroline Linton ‘21 shared a few words about Mrs. Huerta: “Mrs. Huerta gives absolutely everything to the school! She is responsible for so much that goes on behind the scenes and it’s so amazing she is finally getting recognized for it. I am so grateful for all of the leadership and communication skills Mrs. Huerta has taught me through PAL and ASB! Congratulations Mrs. Huerta!!”

I think that says it all. Thank you so much for everything you do, Mrs. Huerta. Rosary is incredibly lucky to have you.