Ms. Gavin Is Back!

Ms.+Gavin+in+her+old+yearbook+picture.+

Photo Provided by Ms. Gavin

Ms. Gavin in her old yearbook picture.

Julissa Gonzalez, Staff Writer

Ms. Gavin, who taught History at Rosary for eighteen years, is back. Mr. Stegink, the junior English III teacher, brought a new baby girl into the world, Tessa May, and is now on paternity leave for the rest of the school year. Ms. Gavin is happy to be back teaching English on campus and subbing for Mr. Stegink’s classes.

I got the opportunity to interview Ms. Gavin and ask her a couple of questions:

Q: Where were you born and raised?

A: I was born in Long Beach and grew up in Orange County. I attended St. Norbert for middle school and Mater Dei for high school.

Q: What college did you attend?

A: I graduated from Cal State Long beach and got my degree in History.

Q: What drew you into teaching English?

A: I was looking for a challenge and something different, I taught history for 20 years and loved it, but English has always been one of my favorite subjects since I love reading books.

Q: For how many years did you teach at Rosary prior to leaving?

A: I taught at Rosary for eighteen years and then took a year off teaching. After I did a long term sub for Alberto Heights Academy, which is an all girls school, and last year I was at St. Anthony’s teaching as well.

Q: Why did you decide to come back as a sub for Rosary?

A: I learned a lesson at St. Anthony’s, which was a co-ed school and I realized that I really liked the all girls school environment more. I was able to see the difference in the girls from St. Anthony’s compared to the Rosary girls. After teaching at Rosary for eighteen years, everyone was like my second family, and I missed teaching with some of my closest friends and being able to see them every day.

Q: What are some of your favorite hobbies?

A: I love reading fiction, anything superhero related. I collect Funko pop figurines and have a collection of seven hundred and twenty, I love Disneyland, and I have 3 little dogs named Minion, Muppet, and Marvel.

Q: If there was one place that you could travel to, where would it be and why?

A: Ireland, I did a study abroad internship for four months and it is definitely the place that I was supposed to be born and live in. It is a beautiful place, and the people are awesome and so much fun.

Q: Where did you meet your fiancé and when are you getting married?

A: I met Chad when I used to work at Disneyland in 1994, we were friends at the time, and he had a very large crush on me. I quit Disneyland in 1996 and did not keep in contact with anyone, until 2019 I got a friend request from him on Facebook and we reconnected. We have been together ever since and now we are getting married on May 16, 2021.

Q: Is there a specific theme for the wedding?

A: The colors are red and purple with black and white polka dots. My dress, the bridesmaids, and groomsmen are all dressed in the 1950’s style. There is no specific theme, but we are mixing things that we both love together, like Disneyland and Star Wars.

Ms. Gavin and her fiancé, Chad at Disneyland. Photo Provided by Ms. Gavin 

We are so happy to have Ms. Gavin back on campus and congratulate her on her engagement. We hope that she enjoys this time back with her second family.