Royal Artists of the Year

A complete list of Rosary’s twelve nominees. Photo Provided by: @rosaryroyals on Instagram

Anna DiCrisi, Editor

This year, 12 talented Rosary Royals were nominated for Orange County Register’s Artist of the Year to highlight their passion, dedication, and skill in their art form.

Sponsored by Chapman University’s College of the Performing Arts, the yearly competition honors high school students who stand out because of their talent and work ethic.

The website for the award states, “An Artist of the Year is any student high school junior or senior artist who demonstrates the following attributes: talent and technique, artistic vision, growth and impact, and heart.”

Here’s how it works:

Teachers can nominate upperclassmen in the theaterdanceinstrumental musicvocal musicfilm/animationcomputer-assisted visual arts, and handcrafted visual arts categories. The nominees then create a resume, application, and headshot. They write a few paragraphs in response to a few questions, and they put together a performance or visual art submission for consideration.

Katie Fang ’22, nominated for handcrafted visual arts, said, “Being given the opportunity to apply to the OC artist of the year meant so much to me. I was able to tell my story through my works and take one step closer to the artist I hope to become one day.”

She continued, “I crafted my portfolio, containing a few of my favorite artworks, and designed my own website to showcase them. I also wrote an artist statement and expressed what it means to be an artist for me.”

Katie Thomas ’22, nominated for acting, said “It was honestly just an honor to be nominated for artist of the year alongside everyone I was nominated with. It was a great opportunity to share my talents and passion for the arts with other people.”

The 12 girls submitted their applications at the end of January, and their names were just published in the Orange County Register three weeks ago.

Soon, 12 students will be chosen as semi-finalists in each category. After further interviews and application reviews, one artist from each of the 8 art forms will be named Orange County’s “Artist of the Year” for 2021.

We wish our Royals luck and congratulate them on this honor. Proud of you, girls!