The One and the Only Ms. Barclay

Photo credit: Ms. Barclay

Ms. Barclay with her husband Eddie and baby Clay

Alicia Dofelmier, Staff Writer

Ms. Barclay, class of ‘94 is a living legend here at Rosary Academy. Not only is she a wonderful and brilliant teacher, but she’s an incredible person who truly cares for each one of her students. For those of you who don’t know Ms. Barclay or have not been lucky enough to experience one of her classes, I decided to interview her so that Royals have the chance to get to know her. For those of you who have had class with Ms. Barclay, hopefully this interview gives you some extra insight into who she is as a person. Without further ado, it’s time to introduce the one and the only Ms. Barclay.

Q: Where did you grow up?

A: Orange and Yorba Linda.

Q: Where did you go to school?

A: Saint Josephs in Placentia, Tuffree Junior High, Rosary Academy, Berkeley, and Chapman.

Q: How long have you been working at Rosary?

A: For about 20 years.

Q: What classes do you teach?

A: I’ve taught AP Language and Composition for about 10 years. This is my first time teaching Honors English III and it’s my fifth year teaching Journalism.

Ms. Barclay with her old dog, Buster (Photo credit: Ms. Barclay)

Q: What is your favorite part about teaching at Rosary?

A: Definitely the students, because of how much fun they’re willing to have in class.

Q: What is your family like?

A: They are weird and wonderful. While I am the star of the show, my husband is more mellow and introverted. Baby Clay is busy working on his karate.

Q: What’s your favorite color?

A: Blue

Q: What’s your favorite book?

A: “Catcher in the Rye”

Q: What’s your favorite movie?

A: “Shawshank Redemption”

Q: What do you feel is your greatest accomplishment?

A: When I won second place in the Orange County Registrar’s worst poetry competition.

Q: What is your all time favorite memory about Rosary?

A: My favorite memory would be when I wore a brown shoe and black shoe to school and the students made fun of me. But, at the next class they showed up in two different shoe colors which made me feel supported.

At this point you may be wondering what it truly is that makes Ms. Barclay great. The answer is simple: it’s the way that Ms. Barclay is able to relate to her students and how much she cares about each one of them. Elena Walz ‘22 shared that “Ms. Barclay is a wonderful teacher and one of the smartest people I’ve ever met. However, she also has many flaws such as her complete inability to produce intelligent Scattergories answers.” This shows how Ms. Barclay relates to students, because even though she is amazing she still makes mistakes just like students and those mistakes help to make her an even better teacher. By having faults it makes her relatable to students, because it shows that teachers aren’t perfect either. In conclusion Royals, even though she may mess up from time to time, Ms. Barclay is still an incredible teacher and person who innately cares about each one of her students.