Are You Sacrificing Anything This Lent?

This+is+a+Royal+receiving+her+ashes+from+Fr.+Ian+on+Ash+Wednesday.+

Photo Provided By Mr./Mrs. Reinbold

This is a Royal receiving her ashes from Fr. Ian on Ash Wednesday.

Julissa Gonzalez, Staff Writer

What exactly is Lent and why do people make sacrifices?

Lent is a season before Easter consisting of 40 days of prayer, fasting, sacrafice, and almsgiving. This begins on Ash Wednesday and ends on Hoy Thursday, these 40 days are a period of preparation to celebrate the Lord’s Resurrection at Easter.

Mrs. Kearns, who is the head of Campus Ministry at Rosary Academy, tells us what the season of lent means, “Lent is a season that calls us to ‘turn toward Christ’ – just as the hemisphere is turning toward the sun, we too are called to ‘turn back to the Son’ through repentance, almsgiving, fasting and prayer.”

During Lent we practice abstaining from meat on Fridays, but we are also called to practice self-discipline, fasting, and sacrafice something else thorough the Lenten season. Sacrafice is not mandatory, but is encouraged and only pertains to people in between the ages of fourteen through fifty eight.

Many students are making sacrifices on their own to prepare during these 40 days before Easter.

Melanie Kamel ’24 states, “This lent I’m giving up meat as a way to humble myself before Jesus and the many sacrifices he made for me. I am making it a goal this lent to strengthen my relationship with God.”

Melissa Hanson a junior, states, “For Lent, I gave up watching YouTube. Recently, due to the pandemic, I had gotten into streaming platforms like Netflix or Disney+ with my abundance of spare time. It would turn into a daily visit and I just needed to break that habit of procrastination. so I gave it up as a way to counter or fix my mistakes.”

Mr. Bravo, who is also head of Campus Ministry, shares with us what he is sacrafycing, “For lent I am focusing more on my spiritual life through fasting and prayer. I will also be going in everyday and spending time to pray in the Rosary chapel in order to better my prayer routine.” Mr. Bravo is not only continuing to fast, but he is also taking on a challenge through this Lent season.

As Catholics we are called to participate in this season of lent, many students at Rosary have chosen to dedicate these 40 days to prayer, sacrafice, and almsgiving.

This year due to COVID-19, ashes were sprinkled on the head instead of placed on the forehead in a sign of the cross. (Photo Provided by Wikimedia Commons)
During Lent, we are called to pray the station of the cross, which Rosary has put out on the lawn for Royals to pray on or reflect.