A Great Leader: Kimberly Gallo

Photo provided by Kimberly Gallo

Kimberly after receiving the vaccine.

Julissa Gonzalez, Staff Writer

During your four years at Rosary, we want you to become leaders and participate in something that you are interested and passionate about. Kimberly Gallo’22, is a great example of a leader on campus, she participates in ASB, Campus Ministry, and is a CSF and National Honors Society member. While balancing her extracurriculars and homework, she is also a volunteer at the PIH Hospital in Whittier. Since Kimberly is a volunteer, she had the honor of being one of the first to receive the COVID-19 vaccine. I had the chance to ask Kimberly questions about volunteering and the COVID-19 vaccine.

Q: Why did you start volunteering?

A: I started volunteering since I want to become doctor in the future and volunteering is the best way to get experience and I love doing it so much since I get to help so many people and make a difference.

Q: What do you do during your volunteering hours?

A: As a volunteer I discharge patients, take Covid-19 specimens to the lab, talk to a lot of patients and healthcare workers and deliver food or belongings to patients.

Q: What have you learned from volunteering?

A: I have learned to put the needs of others before my own and to not complain about my life since there are people who are fighting for there life everyday.

Q: Has  volunteering changed the way that you see health care workers?

A: Volunteering has tremendously changed how I see healthcare workers because they are the real heroes who are willing to do anything to help people they don’t know and they have all my respect.

Q: How did you feel about getting the COVID-19 vaccine?

A: I felt very honored and excited to get the Covid-19 vaccine since it was amazing to be considered as a front line healthcare worker. It was an unforgettable experience that will be part of history.

Q: Have you felt any side effects or any changes in your body since getting the vaccine?

A: I did not get any severe side affects, I only got fatigue and chills but only from the second dose.

Q: What would you say to someone who is thinking about getting the COVID-19 vaccine?

A: If you are thinking about getting the COVID-19 vaccine I highly encourage it since by simply getting the vaccine you will make a change for the better and help the world return to normal as soon as possible! Please do not let fear stop you from getting the vaccine.

Kimberly is just one of the few who put their life on the line for others and truly cares for everyone around her. She hopes to become a doctor in the future and help save others’ lives.