Once Upon a Mattress

Alicia Dofelmier, Staff Writer

Once upon a time or on Saturday, January 16th, Trinitas Arts Conservatory or TAC held auditions for the spring musical, “Once Upon a Mattress.” Auditions and callbacks took place on the same day from 10 in the morning till 4:30 in the afternoon. Everyone worked really hard, and the cast list was sent out the day after auditions. On behalf of the Royal Reporter, I went around to various members of the cast to get their opinions on the upcoming show. 

Katie Thomas ‘22 was cast as Winnifred, the lead. She said, “It’s really cool! I’m really excited for the show, and I have not stopped listening to the cast album since auditions (except for a few Taylor Swift breaks). I know I’ve got a lot of hard work ahead of me but I’m so ready to do it. I’ve been doing musicals since I was 8, but I’ve never had this big of a role so I’m absolutely pumped! The entire cast is so talented, and I can’t wait to watch this show come together.” 

I next talked to Claire Early ‘21 and Luke Mendoza ‘21 to see how they feel since this will be their last Trinitas show. Claire said, “I feel really excited to end my Trinitas journey with this show!”

Luke told the Royal Reporter this, “I’ve come to terms that this will be my last show. I started as early as I could since freshman year, 9 shows in the making, so knowing that Once Upon a Mattress is my last feels very validating. Then again, a senior’s last show is bittersweet; you’re saddened to leave the underclassmen you’ve loved, but you’re proud to see how far you’ve come. I want to cherish the last show I have with all my fellow seniors.”

It goes without saying that all of the seniors will be dearly missed.

Time for Callbacks (Photo by: Alicia Dofelmier)

Sam George ‘21 provided the Royal Reporter with some insight into how he felt the audition process went: “The entire audition process was very easy and enjoyable. As usual, Trinitas students showed up rooting for one another. Overall, it was a great day and I’m looking forward to the rest of the process!”

Reading Scenes for Callbacks (Photo by: Alicia Dofelmier)

When asked what she is most looking forward to in regards to the show, Isabella Dascanio ‘22 said, “I am most excited to see the whole production come together. It’s crazy to see everyone work so hard and do it so quickly. Every person in the production is super talented and I’m so excited to work with them!”

Finally, I talked to Mr. Marrone, TAC’s executive director to get his thoughts on the show. Mr. Marrone said, “With such a strong cast, and dire need for musical entertainment, I’m so energized to present this hilarious retelling of “The Princess and the Pea” in a new, safe, and Covid-friendly way.”

With such a great cast, “Once Upon a Mattress” is sure to be a big hit. Everyone seems to be super excited for the show, and I know that each and every single person in the cast will give their all to make sure the performances are memorable. Congrats to everyone who was cast!

Cast List