Caffeine Jolt

A+heavenly+iced+vanilla+latte.+Photo+provided+by+Hailey+Yu+%2721.+

A heavenly iced vanilla latte. Photo provided by Hailey Yu ’21.

Isabel Alderete, Editor-in-chief

Caffeine- a central nervous system stimulant of the methylxanthine class. As the world’s most widely consumed psychoactive drug, Royals absolutely thrive on it.

During this Thanksgiving season, seniors are feeling especially grateful for caffeine with finals around the corner and regular decision college applications due. If you ever walk on campus, you’re bound to see multiple seniors carrying a delicious caffeinated beverage, whether it’s an iced coffee and or tea.

Senior Gianna Arenas loves to start her day with an oat milk latte. As a part of her morning routine, she’s thankful for caffeine for waking her up. “Making my coffee is something I look forward to every morning because it’s a small window of just peace and quiet,” she shared.

Like Gianna, Isabella Capps ’21 starts each day with some caffeine. She chooses from a wide variety of beverages, including coffee, matcha, and chai. Isabella shared about how much she thrives on caffeine: “I am so thankful for caffeine because I thrive on it. When I wake up- boom, coffee. When I’m having an afternoon schlump- boom, matcha. I think without it, I would be a walking zombie.” When she needs extra caffeine, Isabella loves to get a Nitro cold brew from Starbucks.

Hailey enjoying one of her favorite caffeinated beverages. Photo provided by Hailey Yu.

Senior Hailey Yu is another caffeine addict on campus. Her go-to caffeine orders are cold brews with vanilla or iced vanilla lattes. “I’m grateful for coffee because it fuels my day and gives me an extra boost of energy. Having a delicious cup of coffee in the morning gives me joy before school and before starting my day,” she commented.

Daphne Ruffier is definitely one of the most caffeine addicted seniors on campus. If you walk on campus at any given moment, you’re bound to see Daphne holding a vanilla sweet cream cold crew from Starbucks or mission cold brew from Philz. Daphne shared, “I can’t live without caffeine. I thank God every day for it because without it, I wouldn’t be able to survive.”

Daphne also loves Yerba Mate, which is a Southern American tea. This heavily caffeinated beverage is one of Daphne’s favorite afternoon pick me ups, and some of her favorite brands of it are Guayaki and Clean.

A beloved caffeinated drink- Yerba Mate. Photo from Open Food Facts.

It’s easy to say that Royals are addicted to caffeine, but it’s an addiction that we’re okay with. Every cup of coffee or tea is a beautiful gift that seniors are thankful for. Who knows what would they do without caffeine.