A Day of Remembrance

Photo by: Alicia Dofelmier

A Dia de Los Muertos Altar

Alicia Dofelmier, Staff Writer

On Monday, November 2nd, Campus Ministry held an All Souls Day and Día de Los Muertos prayer service. Both Campus Ministry and Mrs. Kearns had spent numerous class periods planning the prayer service, and their hard work paid off.

The theme for the prayer service was remembrance–remembering how even in death our loved ones never truly leave us. The prayer service began with an opening song and then Alicia Dofelmier ‘22 read an opening prayer. Alicia Ventura ‘21 read the First Reading and Elena Walz ’22 read the Gospel. After the Gospel, Mrs. Kearns gave a reflection and spoke about the importance of remembering our loved ones. She encouraged students to set up an ofrenda in their homes and decorate it with pictures of those that they’ve lost. An ofrenda is an altar to remember those that you’ve lost; it’s a huge part of Día de Los Muertos.

Elena Walz reading the Gospel .(Photo by: Alicia Dofelmier)

Mrs. Kearns also encouraged students to go into the chapel and write down someone whom they’ve lost on a leaf and put that paper leaf up on the Wall of Remembrance. After the reflection, Lindsay Wippler ‘22 read a prayer from CRS and then Noelle Bermudez ‘21 read the Prayers of the Faithful. Then orchestra serenaded the student body with a beautiful rendition of Gentle Women. Finally, Alicia Dofelmier ‘22 closed off the prayer service with a closing prayer. 

Orchestra playing during the prayer service. (Photo by: Alicia Dofelmier)

Even though because of Covid, Cohort 1 could not all gather together in the courtyard to watch the prayer service, the service was live streamed to all the classrooms so that students could still partake in it. The prayer service was a beautiful way to start the month of November and a beautiful way to remind both faculty and students to remember those that they have lost.