On the Air!

Sophomores Alex Bohn and Bridgette Sanders and Junior Anna DiCrisi in costume before their second performance

Anna DiCrisi, Editor

And we are live in three, two, one. Hello, folks! K-TAC radio station is officially on the air!

On Saturday, November 14 and Sunday, November 15, Trinitas Arts Conservatory’s fall production On The Air was performed and live-streamed for everyone to enjoy.

After auditions in September, the cast has been working tirelessly on their acting. Every Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, they would gather from 3:30 to 6:30 and rehearse their show. On Saturday, November 7, they entered what is called tech week.

Tech week is the week of rehearsals before opening. This is the time when costumes, microphones, lighting, and all other technical aspects come into play. Rehearsal can last anywhere from 5-7 hours every day. Students come ready in hair and makeup, change into their costumes, do a run of the show, eat dinner with the rest of the cast and crew, go over director’s notes taken during the run, work on any scene that needs to be fixed, and then return home. Samuel George 21’ says, “Tech week is my favorite week of the entire year. It is the only time where I can spend so much of my energy doing what I love with the people that I love. During tech week, it’s almost like every other aspect of life fades a little, and we focus solely on our production. There’s nothing else like it.”

This year, in addition to lighting, sound, production, deck, and costume, there was a group of techs called the foley crew. Since radio plays are traditionally seen and not heard, there was a group of girls on stage making all of the sound effects during the show. Whenever there were footsteps or a phone call, they were on it—enhancing every play.

Tech week also consists of many traditions that Trinitas students hold very close to their heart. Every day has a different dress theme for students to follow. For example, on Onezie Wednesday, everyone comes to rehearsal and eats dinner in pajamas. Another cherished tradition is the show notebooks. Everyone in the cast gets a travel sized notebook. When the actors have down time, they can go and sign other people’s notebooks. It is a way to write letters to your closest friends and keep memories from the show forever.

After a long but rewarding week, Friday morning saw the student matinee. The show was performed and live-streamed to many different middle school classrooms. After that, the cast drove to Ruby’s, as they do every show, and celebrated their first performance of the weekend. After that, they hung out at sophomore Bridgette Sanders’ house for the rest of the night.

The next day was opening night. Bishop Vann came down and celebrated mass with the cast and crew. After that, they got ready to showcase the show they had been working so incredibly hard on. People from all over the country, from Oregon to New York, tuned in to the evening of radio plays. Isabella Cruz ‘22 says, “There is something so special about knowing that people are watching you. It creates this super strong bond with the people on stage with you that can’t quite be matched by anything else.” I can promise you that there is no feeling like stage lights in your eyes, while you give all your energy to a show with some of your best friends standing beside you.

When the camera stopped rolling at the end of the night, everyone in the Servite theater ran onto the stage and started screaming and dancing. It was energy like no other—an opening night I am sure will not be soon forgotten.

Trinitas students enjoy dinner after the opening night of their show
Photo Credits: Anna DiCrisi