Signing Day for Lauren Woolley

Veralie Naranjo, Staff Writer

On November 11th  2020, Lauren Woolley ’21 signed to play Division 1 water polo with San Jose State University, home of the Spartans.

Lauren Woolley never believed she would play for a Division 1 school since, during her high school career, she was frequently injured and out for big games/tournaments. Thus, she couldn’t have been more excited when her junior year finally went well. After the team won CIF D-3, Lauren was named CIF Player of the Year.  She shared, “When I walked in to sign at 11:00 a.m., I couldn’t have been happier to see all my friends and family waiting for me to sign. Especially since I hardly see them.”

Lauren has a bright future as a Spartan polo player. Photo Credit: Lauren Woolley

The at-school signing is technically only ceremonious.  Lauren had to wait to receive a digital email from the head coach at San Jose State University. She said, “I didn’t receive the email till 3:00 pm and I didn’t sign till 3:30 p.m.”

Lauren Woolley taking her shot against Mater Dei High School. Photo Credit: Rory Bevins

According to Lauren, the ceremony at Rosary was “absolutely beautiful. It was something small and quick. Everyone was 6 feet apart which was very important to me since my little nephew was present.” After Lauren took multiple pictures with her friends and family, her family took her to go eat at Red Robin to celebrate her big day. All her siblings were present and gave Lauren gifts and made little speeches for Lauren to prepare her for college. Lauren said, “I wouldn’t be where I am today without them. They pushed me and were there for me through all the goods and all the bads.”