Introducing Ms. Rieder

Photo Credits: Rosary Academy

Ms. Rieder Photo Location: https://www.rosaryacademy.org/

Elizabeth Martinez, Staff Writer

We want to welcome another addition to the History department- Ms. Rieder, who teaches World History and US History.

Ms. Reider grew up in Hattiesburg, Mississippi, but in 2018, she took a risk and moved to California.

She spoke on her thought process about the move when she said, “At the time I had no job and I was extremely nervous about moving somewhere so far outside my comfort zone but decided I really wanted to challenge myself, meet new people, and experience some personal growth. As an added bonus, my sister lives in Huntington Beach with her husband and three kids and I knew I wanted to be closer to them to help support my sister and brother-in-law with their adorable children!”

Ms. Rieder: top left, Tucker (9): top right, Gunner (almost 7): bottom right, Charlotte (5): bottom left. Photo Provided by Ms. Rieder

Since she moved, Ms. Rieder found a job at Connelly as the Activities Director, and spent the last two years working there. When Connelly announced its closure, she knew there was a chance she would end up at Rosary. She shared, “I wanted to experience the same positivity and empowerment working in another all-girls school. Coming from a co-ed public school, I never knew how much I would love this environment and I truly felt like I was called to educate young women and use my talents as a teacher to make a difference in this community. I feel so lucky an opportunity opened up, especially during a time of uncertainty during the pandemic.”

In the future, Mrs. Rieder cannot wait to continue teaching, especially at Rosary when she says, “I am really looking forward to getting to know everyone better and ingrain myself in the school and its unique traditions.”

To learn a bit more about Ms. Rieder, I have included the interview with a few fun facts:

Q: How did history spark your interest?

“I have always felt interested in history but it was my 11th grade US History teacher that truly changed my perspective and ignited my passion for the subject. Every lesson she taught felt like she was telling a story and I looked forward to her class every day. I never thought I would be a history teacher but took many classes related to the subject in college just out of interest. My dad called one day and said. Elyse, I think this could turn into a career God is calling you to pursue.” And as they say.. the rest is history!”

Q: What’s your favorite color?

“I don’t really have a favorite color but I tend to find myself buying neutral colors most often.”

Q: Do you have any pets?

“I have a Shih Tzu named Finley but she is currently staying with my parents in Mississippi. They weren’t ready to say goodbye to either of us so Finley splits her time with me and them to help them cope with my absence. ”

Q: Who is your favorite musician?

My favorite musician is Justin Timberlake and I also love country music.

Q: What is your favorite thing about Rosary so far?

“My favorite thing about Rosary so far is the warm welcome I have received from this community. From students to colleagues to parents, I have felt such a warm reception from everyone. I am so excited to officially be a Royal! ”