5 Best Movies to Watch During Fall

Photo by Summit Entertainment

Tina Enright, Staff Writer

It’s that time of year again, Royals! Autumn has officially arrived, which means it’s finally time to revisit everyone’s favorite fall movies that give you the spectacularly spooky, craftily cozy, and wonderfully warm feelings we’ve been waiting for all year. I decided to ask a few Rosary students what their personal favorites are and have compiled a brief list for your reference.
Warning: watching any of the following movies may result in uncontrollable autumn-related joy (and the occasional tear), so please be mindful and watch at your own discretion.
Movie 1: The Nightmare Before Christmas
A Halloween Classic, The Nightmare Before Christmas is a popular choice among viewers of all ages because of its lighthearted, spirited nature that is perfect for getting into the fall mood.
Taylor Bastidas ‘21 shares, “The story is fantastic with some great jokes and an amazing soundtrack. I cannot stress enough how great the songs are, but that’s to be expected from Danny Elfman.” Taylor provides some insight as well, explaining that cinematically, it’s a beautiful movie that was originally inspired by a poem. Definitely a movie to put on your viewing list this fall if it isn’t already. Who knows? It might have you singing along by the end of it.

Movie 2: The Theory of Everything
One of my personal favorites, The Theory of Everything is certainly more of a tear-jerker, but it’s absolutely way too beautiful to not make the list. Released in 2014, it tells the story of Stephen Hawking’s life dealing with Motor Neuron Disease as he ambitiously studies physics and the origin of time while maintaining a relationship with his lover, Jane. Everything about this movie is beautiful (i.e. the acting, the story, and specifically the soundtrack) so grab some tissues and turn on Netflix because it’s definitely a movie everyone should see at least once.

Movie 3: Fantastic Mr. Fox
Similar to The Nightmare Before Christmas, Fantastic Mr. Fox is a lighthearted animation that is a favorite among viewers of all ages. It is senior Elleene Kim’s favorite fall movie because of the beautiful fall colors and creative animation. She explains, “I love Fantastic Mr. Fox because Wes Anderson directed it, and the comedy is very good. It keeps me laughing all the way through.”

Movie 4: The Harry Potter Series

It probably won’t come as a surprise that the Harry Potter films are on this list. As one of the most popular series’ of all time, Harry Potter is perfect for getting people into the fall mood. Chances are, you’ve seen these films more than once, but if it’s been a while, this is a great opportunity to revisit them. However, if you haven’t seen the films, (where have you been?) this should definitely be near the top of your list. Maybe even grab a friend or family member to watch it with you, if you’re up for it.

Movie 5: The Perks of Being a Wallflower
*cue the tears* Also available on Netflix, The Perks of Being a Wallflower is certainly a fall essential. It stars Emma Watson, Ezra Miller, and Logan Lerman in an emotional tale about friendship, acceptance, and growth. It’s not sad, particularly, but it is unforgettably moving. The movie, book, and soundtrack are all equally amazing, so I personally recommend all three. I’m not going to tell you much else, just be prepared because I guarantee you’ll be sobbing by the end of it.

These are only five of the countless movies you can watch to get into the autumn mood this season. Especially because we are still in the middle of a pandemic, watching movies is a great way to kill time and relieve stress. So turn on your T.V. and check them out!