Rosary Softball: She’s Safe!

Author%2C+Abigail+Tice+%2722%2C+attends+her+Zoom+conditioning+practice.+

Photo Credit: Tom Tice

Author, Abigail Tice ’22, attends her Zoom conditioning practice.

Abigail Tice, Editor

Back in March when the lockdown orders were put in place, the Rosary softball team, along with many other Spring sports teams, lost their season. However, the abrupt change forced them to become more flexible and taught many athletes not to take their season for granted.

Although softball is a Spring sport, the team usually plays year round and practices as often as they can. Just recently, the softball team was able to start to practice again. Their first practice took place on the Rosary lawn, and because softball is not a sport that requires much physical contact, it was easy to maintain social distancing.

Players arrived to campus and immediately went through health screenings. Then they started running and stretching from 6 feet away and went into throwing drills. After they were done warming up, Head Coach and Athletic Director Tom Tice gave the athletes directions on what to do for the rest of practice. All of the athletes kept their masks on the entire time and constantly sanitized their hands and the other gear used that day.

Another way the softball team gets their work in is through both in-person and Zoom strength & conditioning practices. The Zoom practice allows the athletes to minimize their exposure to other people and ensure the safety of everyone. The conditioning starts with their coach giving them instructions on which stretches to do, leading into the more rigorous drills.

The softball team’s 3rd baseman Bella Fuentes ’22 says, “Even though these practices are not the same as they used to be, I’m still glad that we are able to get some work in and spend some time with our teammates.” Times like these can be tough and unpredictable, but Rosary softball seems to have it figured out. From now until their actual season starts, they will be able to accomplish so much as a team and prepare themselves for a winning season.