New Royal Hobbies

Photo by Marysol Cazarez

Tina Enright, Staff Writer

Well folks, it’s been a lengthy six and a half months since we all had class on campus, and there has certainly been lots of time to fill. Several Royals grasped this opportunity to pick up some new hobbies, as well as revisit some old ones. Let’s hear what a few of them have to say.

Junior Anna Dicrisi went the art route and decided to paint her bedroom wall. She sectioned off fifteen squares (five across and three down) and is currently painting something different on each one. She says, “In order to pass time this quarantine, I decided I really wanted to personalize my room. I have always liked painting and had seen all sorts of creative ideas online, so I decided to try it out. I started by sectioning off my wall and picking out the colors I loved, and then I got to work. It is a work in progress, but I’m hoping that by the time I finish I’ll be happy with it.”

Junior Anna Dicrisi’s art wall is making great progress.
Photo by Anna Dicrisi

Serena Park ‘21 sought out to try a variety of things this quarantine. She explains, “Since I’ve had so much time on my hands, I’ve picked up a few new hobbies and revisited some old ones. I taught myself how to embroider and play the guitar, and I started crocheting, playing the ukulele, and reading more! I’ve also been doing lots of baking.” Currently, Serena is crocheting a shirt and is excited to see the finished product. Despite being back in school, Serena remains engaged in her new activities and practices them as often as she can.

This quarantine, senior Serena Park embroidered a “Scoops Ahoy” sweatshirt in reference to the Netflix show Stranger Things.
Photo by Serena Park

Amidst the shortage earlier in the pandemic, senior Marysol Cazarez started sewing masks to sell and donate to those in her community. She explains, “I started sewing because I saw there was a great need and I wanted to use my skills to do something good.”

Marysol learned how to sew in seventh grade, but hasn’t practiced in a while. She says, “I watched a few YouTube videos to spark my memory, bought some fabric, and then I was all set.” Marysol has sewn hundreds of masks since the start of quarantine and has now even begun sewing some of her own clothes.

With school back in session and our nearing return to campus, it may be more difficult to start and maintain new hobbies. But if you have the time and are interested, go for it! The options are limitless and there’s never a bad time to learn something new.