Life After Winning CIF

Veralie Naranjo, Staff Writer

As you probably know by now, Rosary’s water polo team did the impossible on February 22, 2020 by breaking the 21-year curse and winning CIF Division III. Nobody believed that they could make it. There were articles on waterpoloplant (an anonymous website where people can write about the water polo games), saying things like, “Looks like King [Martin Luther King High School in Riverside] will be the division three champions.” Little did they know that Rosary’s water polo team wasn’t going to give up that easily.

Once the girls read the comments on waterpoloplanet, they quickly began pushing themselves to work harder, both in and out of the water. They practiced every morning and afternoon, never wanting to stop.

Lauren Woolley ’21 said, “We wouldn’t leave practice until we got the job done right. Sometimes we would stay one hour after our practice.” Even on holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas, the girls stayed to get extra practice.

Although their hard work paid off, the girls never got a chance to celebrate their success. Alexys Puche ’21 said, “We wanted to until wait the following weekend to set up a barbecue, but that Friday we didn’t know it was going to be our last time at Rosary as a team due to Covid-19.” The girls were devastated, but still had their heads held high since they were actually able to play the championship game, unlike Rosary’s basketball team, who never got a chance to finish their season.

Weeks and months started to pass by, and the seniors began leaving for college. Nikki Culver ’21 said, “I wish we all had a chance as a team to say goodbye to them.” It was time for the new Rosary water polo team to move on.

The water polo team finally started practice in the water on September 1, 2020. Elizabeth Harita ’22 said, “It was kind of weird because we were all so isolated and I still hate the idea of wearing masks. But, it was still awesome to have the team back.” But on that same day, the girls were in for a shock.

Varsity coach Mr. Bevins told the girls that the new rankings finally came in, and that they were moved up to Division 2, despite only just moving up to Division 3 the season before. The girls were annoyed and frustrated. Mia Solorazano ’21 said, “It’s frustrating that we’re getting moved up when we lost eight of our seniors and barely have enough for a varsity squad.”

Although it may seem that CIF made a mistake, Mr. Bevins says, “We will work ten times harder than last season and prove to other teams that they don’t know what’s coming.”

The girls are currently practicing Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6:30-8:00 to try to get back into shape and ready for their new season.