Royal Book Recommendations

Photo by Tina Enright

Tina Enright, Staff Writer

While all students were given reading assignments for their English classes over summer break, some avid readers in the Rosary community decided to read for their own pleasure and have some recommendations to share with you all.

Senior Elleene Kim’s favorite book was “I’ll Give You the Sun” by Jandy Nelson. Elleene explains, “It’s a book about a pair of twins, Noah and Jude, and how their relationship changes as they grow up. The writing is absolutely beautiful. It’s so full of imagery and detail that it was a little hard to read at first, but once I got used to the writing style I couldn’t put the book down.” “I’ll Give You The Sun” has a 4.14 star rating on Goodreads with almost 251,000 ratings. It’s received high praise from critics, received several awards, and has been recognized as one of the top young adult (YA) novels of the decade. So if you’re looking for some good YA fiction, this is certainly a great option to consider.

Lianna Enright ‘24 says that she’s never been much of a reader, but she really enjoyed “The Fault In Our Stars” by John Green this summer. She explains, “My favorite part about the book is the characters. I love Hazel and Augustus’ relationship and how they’re always there for each other. It is definitely one of my favorite books of all time.” She adds that she hasn’t seen the movie adaptation yet, but is excited to watch it soon. “The Fault In Our Stars” is John Green’s most successful novel, receiving over three and a half million ratings on Goodreads. It’s received over a dozen awards and is one of the most popular YA novels of our time.

Rosary Academy’s AP English and Journalism teacher Ms. Barclay ’94 read several books this summer. First, she explains that the most important book she read was “Caste” by Isabel Wilkerson. She says, “It goes beyond addressing the need for more anti-racism in America today and deals with the caste system in America – how we think, and even rank one another psychologically.  Much of what she talks about is behavior most Americans do not know they are guilty of.  It was a fascinating book I think everyone should read.” With the current state of America, this sounds like a very interesting, educational read that would be good for everyone to look into.

Ms. Barclay’s second recommendation is “The Boys in the Boat” by Daniel James Brown. She explains that it tells the story of the University of Washington’s quest for gold in the 1936 Berlin Olympics. Ms. Barclay shared, “The story was so masterfully told, weaving in history and politics, that it made me weep toward the end of the book.  I don’t normally weep, but I definitely wept, and I’m not sorry.  I immediately demanded that the entire English Department read this book, and I’m sure they wept too and just haven’t told me yet.” This definitely sounds like a must read, so if you’re interested, read it and then let Ms. Barclay know! She’d love to discuss it with you.

These are only a few book recommendations the Rosary community has shared with The Royal Reporter. Hopefully you found one or more of them interesting and have some new texts to add to your reading lists. If you’ve already read the books mentioned or don’t find any of them particularly interesting, a great resource to help you find what you’re looking for is Goodreads.com. They have nearly every book documented on their website and app, so check it out and see what you think.