Servite in Quarantine

Alicia Ventura, Staff Writer

In the past two months, as people have been confined to the inside of their houses, everyone has found different ways to either keep themselves busy or simply distracted from the days that have begun to blend into one.

Connor McClure sets time aside to workout and get fit for football season.
Photo Provided By Connor McClure

The Royal Reporter has written countless stories of what Rosary girls have been up to during quarantine and now it is time to look into what the Servite guys have been up to. It’s time to find out just which dreams have been crushed and what they have chosen to do with all their extra time.

Life before the quarantine was notorious for being very fast-paced and did not give way to working on hobbies or relaxing, so Nick Gallardo ’22 has taken advantage of the opportunity to take it slow and relax. Like most students, he has enjoyed the extra time he has to work on his homework and have the rest of the day to do what he personally likes to do. He has made an effort to put his phone down and enjoy working out, learning new skills, watching Netflix, and playing video games with his friends.

Connor McClure ’21, a football player, has used a lot of his extra time trying to improve football moves by lifting weights and running. He has found that he enjoys spending more time with his family despite rising tensions. Connor cautiously added, “My little sister has mentioned to me about how she would be ok turning to Cannibalistic ways. I have started to sleep with one eye open. I refuse to be her meal.”

Times do sometimes feel hopeless to Connor and that is when he turns to prayer to find the motivation to do his work and keep going. Besides prayer, “recognizing that many men and women have suffered through so much worse than [he] is going through” is what has provided a sort of light at the end of a seemingly endless tunnel for him.

Daniel Muñoz ’21 has also put his spare time to use by working out and spending more time with his family and friends. He has also made more time to go outside and take a deep breath. Like many in quarantine, Daniel admits that food and constant contact with his friends have been the two main things that have kept him sane while spending the endless days inside.

Servite, much like its sister school, has tried to keep its students busy and on track with their assignments which, according to Daniel, has worked. Daniel also tries to keep his spiritual life alive by keeping up with virtual masses on Sunday and praying whenever he can. He has also taken up meditating and doing physical activities to clear his mind in these trying times.

Clark Hammer ’21 revealed that his opinion about school has remained the same: he still likes it the same amount, but for different reasons. Like Connor and Nick, he likes being able to do his work on his own time, but he does not like being away from his friends. As an ambitionist, he has used the extra quarantine hours to sharpen and practice his talents such as guitar playing, painting, music writing, and photographing which he usually cannot do with school. He has also set time aside for his family, particularly, by playing board games with his many siblings.

Clark has also made it a priority to keep his spiritual life alive. Besides the posts Servite’s Campus Ministry sends, he has two alarms set to remind him to pray the Angelus (now the Regina Celli) in the afternoon and the Rosary or Divine Mercy Chaplet at 3 pm.

One of the biggest disappointments Clark has had to face while in quarantine is being a new driver and not being able to go outside. He shared with the Royal Reporter, “The thing that has kept me sane is being able to leave and go to the grocery store and when I’m there, I buy myself candy with my parent’s credit card.”

So there you have it, folks, Servite guys are facing their own hardships and are dealing with them in their own ways. Do not forget that we are all in this together. Give your Servite friend a call and be lonely together. Communication and consistency are key now more than ever.