Hey Class of 2020, Here’s Some Good News

Allison Perea, Staff Writer

Hey seniors, it’s time to graduate. Well, not right away, but soon. For right now a lot of media networks and celebrities are doing everything they can to make the Class of 2020 feel special. John Krasinski, best known for his work on The Quiet Place and in the TV show The Office, has been putting on a weekly newscast on YouTube to lift the spirits of everyone in quarantine. The show, called Some Good News, centers around sharing the good that is happening to the world today. On April 19, he hosted a prom on his show and included a star-studded guest list including Billie Eilish and her brother Finneas. Krasinski decided just hosting prom wasn’t enough, so he chose to also host graduation on May 3rd.

A Harvard Class of 2020 student being surprised with Oprah. Photo by Allison Perea from Some Good News.

The Some Good News graduation included stars that are doing good for the world. Krasinski brought on Oprah, Malala, Steven Speilberg, and Jon Stewart to answer questions from the Class of 2020 students from around the globe. The students brought some deep questions about the future and how these inspirational people began their careers.  Oprah was asked about a time in her life when she felt that she was at a low point, but it turned out to change everything. She shared about when she got fired from a job and hired at a talk show: “I believe that failure is an opportunity to move yourself in a different direction. It gets better because you’ve learned lessons from the first time.”

The Class of 2020 with John Krasinski. Photo by Allison Perea from Some Good News.

Opening the virtual graduation were speeches given by other students. Their words make all seniors feel like they aren’t alone. They share that it is important for us all to come together so that at the end of this we will all be stronger.  The Class of 2020 has the opportunity to be there for each other in a way that no other class has before. Some Good News Graduation is just one example of the way we are all connected in this experience.